Cheap flights to Austria
Austria has come a long way since the von Trapp family. Its tumultuous time as a World War II battle zone is long gone, and when your flight to Austria arrives, you’ll see that a modernized country has emerged. The historic castles and palaces of bygone eras remain, but are usually seen by visitors standing atop snow-capped Alpine mountains.
Flights to Austria’s majestic cities of Vienna and Salzburg attract millions of travelers a year. Salzburg, the birthplace of Mozart, lures travelers to its quaint mountainside motif with chocolate bars and liqueurs. In Vienna, visitors waltz through parks and dine on pastries and wine.
Whether you’re in search of Mozart’s melodies or seeking retreat in small mountainside villages, Austria has enough culture to keep any traveler occupied. Grab your schnitzel or strudel and The Best of Mozart CD, and settle in on your cheap flight to Austria.
The von Trapp family is long gone, but the sound of music still carries on in Austria. Book a flight to Austria for a wonderful fusion of history, art, and culture.
Austria has four distinct seasons, averaging 68 F in the summer and 32 F in the winter. Hiking and walking can be enjoyed from April to October, or you can hit the slopes from December to March.
Best Time to Fly to Austria
Finding an Austria cheap flight may prove to be difficult if you’re planning on traveling over Christmas, Easter, or the summer months, as these are Austria’s most popular travel months. For skiers, the best time to book your flight to Austria would be from December through February. If you’re hoping to head to the hills for some biking and hiking, looking for cheap flights to Austria for a summertime visit is your best bet.
With more moderate temperatures easing into or out of the frigid winter cold, the end of fall and the beginning of spring tend to be the least popular times to visit Austria and therefore the best time to find cheap flights to Austria.
Getting around Austria
The following chart gives approximate journey times fromVienna
(in hours and minutes) to other major cities and towns in Austria.
Austria Travel Information
- Cheap Austria flights should be considered by those interested in exploring Eastern Europe, because Vienna is the ideal starting point for Eastern European travel. Ferries leave daily from Vienna to Bratislava and Budapest in spring and summer, and trains from Salzburg and Vienna leave regularly for Prague and other Eastern European destinations. Bus travel is also widely available and cheaper than train and ferry fares to other Eastern European points, though departure times are more infrequent and trips take much longer.
- For classical music connoisseurs looking to book cheap flights to Austria, Salzburg is a bit of a hot spot: It’s the birthplace of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Movie buffs planning on visiting Austria should also check out Salzburg for its role in “The Sound of Music” – Salzburg is where most of the film takes place. To accommodate the droves of tourists who flock to Salzburg for their musical and movie pilgrimages, there are several tours and plenty of information available for those who wish to see Getreidegasse 9, Mozart’s birthplace, or Howenwerfen Castle, the location just south of the city where “Do Re Mi” was filmed. Check out Salzburg hotels for your stay in this musical haven.
- Vienna, Austria’s capital and cultural center, offers a wealth of museums and ornate performance halls. After you take in a matinee of Swan Lake at the Vienna Opera House or spend the afternoon admiring the masterpieces of Gustav Klimt at the Museum of Applied Arts, be sure to stop for a mélange at a street side café. Vienna’s coffee house tradition is a cultural experience not to be missed, and these cozy, intimate cafes are great places to relax and people watch if you’re still catching up on jetlag from your flight to Austria, or before you had back to your Vienna hotel.
- As two-time host of the Winter Olympic Games, Innsbruck tends to be the final destination for ski bunnies looking for cheap Austria flights. Its location between mountains makes it an ideal locale for winter sports, but Innsbruck is also home to 18 museums and cultural sights to keep you occupied on and off the slopes. Innsbruck hotels are available near top tourist attractions, or tucked away for remote privacy.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Austria
USA departure airports for flights to Austria
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Austria
- New York (NYC)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Boston (BOS)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Detroit (DTT)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Newark (EWR)
- Pittsburgh (PIT)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Portland (PDX)
- Washington (WAS)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Indianapolis (IND)
- Cleveland (CLE)
- Little Rock (LIT)
- Norfolk (ORF)
- Miami (MIA)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Honolulu (HNL)
- St Louis (STL)
- Kansas City (MCI)
- Houston (IAH)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Denver (DEN)
- San Antonio (SAT)
Select your preferred destination from the list below
More useful information about Austria
- Booking a last minute flight to Europe will get you there in time for Oktoberfest in Germany.
- If you are planning an extended stay, then taking a one way flight to Europe may be the best choice.
- Find student travel deals and explore Europe cheaply.
- If you’re driving, consider renting a diesel. Diesels often get better mileage than other cars.
- Some non-typical European destinations include The Netherlands, which has a rich history as a world power.
- Consider booking flights to Europe to visit friends or family while they study abroad during college.
- Trains run throughout mainland Europe and, since the Eurotunnel, also connect France to the UK.
- Hundred of airports throughout the continent serve international travelers for direct flights to Europe.
- If you are under 26 years old or a teacher, you can visit the Louvre museum in Paris for free!
- Great capital cities to visit across European countries include Athens, Dublin, London, Madrid, Paris, and Rome.
Other user searches
- Flights to Durban
- Columbus to Japan cheap flights
- Flights to London from New York
- Seattle to Haiti
- Charlotte to New Jersey flights
- Flights to Al Najaf International Airport from Gogebic County
- Flights from Charlottesville-Albemarle to Lafayette Regional
- Fort Worth to Florida
- San Diego to Paris
- Indianapolis to Europe