Cheap flights to Klagenfurt, Austria
When is the best time to fly to Klagenfurt?
Klagenfurt's sunny climate is best enjoyed in late spring and summer, during the months between May and August. Within this period, most tourists take flights to Klagenfurt between July and August, particularly if they want to spend time at the beaches of Wörthersee Lake. During this period, temperatures are at their highest with an average of about 25 degrees Celsius.
If you decide to visit out of the main tourist season, between the months of November and February, you will find that temperatures often drop below freezing and can be around -7 degrees Celsius during January, the coldest month. If you don’t mind braving the chill then this can be a good time to look for cheap flights to Klagenfurt.
Situated on the Wörthersee Lake in Southern Austria, Klagenfurt is an attractive holiday destination. The city is flanked by beautiful alpine hills and rich forests, with the Glan River winding its way through the valley to the south. Once a commercial stronghold, Klagenfurt is steeped in folklore and legend and its origins are said to be integrally connected with a legendary winged dragon, the Lindworm, which can still be seen gracing the city centre as a monument. One of the main appeals of a flight to Klagenfurt is its many historical sites, including the Landhaus, a country house built in the 16th Century, Klagenfurt Cathedral, built in 1581 and Viktring Abbey, a Cistercian monastery established in 1142. Alongside its many historical monuments, Klagenfurt offers a number of family attractions, of which one of the most curious is the Minimundus, a miniature park situated on Lake Wörthersee, which displays more than 150 miniature models of famous buildings from around the world. The lake itself is particularly popular with holidaymakers, due to its warm waters and beach, which is the largest inland beach in Europe.
Getting around Klagenfurt
Klagenfurt is a city that can easily be explored on foot. However, there is also a good bus network if you want to travel further afield. The main bus station is located at Heiligengeistplatz in the city centre, but you can also buy tickets on the bus. If you enjoy cycling, then hire a bicycle at Neuer Platz to pedal along the Lendkanal cycle path, which leads to the beach and shore of Lake Wörthersee. To travel further afield, you can catch a train from Klagenfurt Central Railway Station in the city centre.
Getting from the Airport to the City
Visitors will find a number of easy options to travel the 2 miles (3 km) to the city after their flight to Klagenfurt Airport (KLU). A railway station is located 2400 ft (750 metres) from the airport terminal, so it is easy to walk to the station and catch a train into Klagenfurt, its suburbs and the villages around the Wörthersee. There is also a regular bus service that runs from the airport to the city centre and Klagenfurt station. If you plan to hire your own car, you will find several car hire companies at the airport. From the airport, it is an easy drive into the city centre, which only takes about ten minutes by car. There is also a taxi rank located in front of the airport terminal.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Klagenfurt
USA departure airports for flights to Klagenfurt
Useful information about Klagenfurt
More useful information about Klagenfurt
- Booking a last minute flight to Europe will get you there in time for Oktoberfest in Germany.
- If you are planning an extended stay, then taking a one way flight to Europe may be the best choice.
- Find student travel deals and explore Europe cheaply.
- If you’re driving, consider renting a diesel. Diesels often get better mileage than other cars.
- Some non-typical European destinations include The Netherlands, which has a rich history as a world power.
- Consider booking flights to Europe to visit friends or family while they study abroad during college.
- Trains run throughout mainland Europe and, since the Eurotunnel, also connect France to the UK.
- Hundred of airports throughout the continent serve international travelers for direct flights to Europe.
- If you are under 26 years old or a teacher, you can visit the Louvre museum in Paris for free!
- Great capital cities to visit across European countries include Athens, Dublin, London, Madrid, Paris, and Rome.
Other user searches
- Cheap flights to Heathrow
- Cheapest flights to Orlando
- Cheap flights from Glendive to Juan Gualberto Gomez
- Flights Miami to Barcelona
- Frontier Airlines flight
- Cedar Rapids to Cleveland-Hopkins International flights
- Flights to Japan from Atlanta
- Cheap flights to Atlanta
- Flights from Arlington Municipal to Liechtenstein
- Wilmington to Tortola