Cheap flights to Salzburg, Austria
Upon arriving in Salzburg, the immediate reaction of first-time visitors is that the flight to Salzburg flew back a few centuries. The city is brimmed with 17th- and 18th-century homes, castles and palaces drape the landscape, and the hometown hero is musical composer named Wolfgang.
Known for its architectural splendor, Salzburg is not only one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, it’s also one of the friendliest. Throughout its history, music has served as the backbone to this city and music is the reason why most travelers book flights to Salzburg. It’s the birthplace of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the setting for The Sound of Music and home to the Salzburg Festival, a world-renowned annual music event. To up its level of cultural significance in Europe, Salzburg is bidding to host the Winter Olympics in 2014.
Due to Salzburg’s close proximity to the mountains, winters in Salzburg reach temperatures that hover at freezing point and snow is plentiful in the Alpine region. Cheap flights to Salzburg tend to be booked for this very reason, as skiing and other winter sport conditions are ideal in this weather. Summers in Salzburg are sunny with occasional humidity and rain showers, and temperatures on average run on the comfortable side at 73 degrees Fahrenheit.
Best Time to Fly to Salzburg
Book flights to Salzburg for an ideal destination that caters to snowy or sunny Alpine vacations any time of year.
Peak Season: Salzburg is popular during the winter, when the alpines are at their best and the blustery winds bring on the white snow for skiers and snowboarders. Between the months of May and September, when Salzburg’s scenery is lush and basking in the summer glow, seats on flights to Salzburg fill up just as quickly as they do during the winter.
Off-peak Season: Try booking Salzburg cheap flights for the transitional seasons: Seats are more open as the snow melts and before the summer heats up, and Salzburg’s timeless attractions are lovely to behold in the temperate conditions of autumn and spring.
Getting around Salzburg
Most of Salzburg’s sights are close to one another, so setting out on foot is a great way to explore the city. If you’re still suffering from jet lag, you can always hop on one of the buses or trains covering the city and outlying towns.
Salzburg Travel Information
- The savings don’t have to stop once you’ve found a cheap flight to Salzburg: The Salzburg Card is a staple for any Salzburg visitor, and is available at smoke shops around the downtown area and several hotels. In addition to discounted fares on Salzburg’s busses and trains, the Salzburg Card will gain you free entry into several attractions, such as Mozart’s birthplace, the Baroque Museum and the Hellbrun Zoo.
- Looking for some tunes to load on your iPod before your cheap flight to Salzburg? Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the famous Austrian composer, was born in Salzburg and his birthplace is one of the most heavily frequented tourist attractions in town. The Salzburg Music Festival and the Salzburg Easter Festival also produce musical excellence, with classical, orchestral concerts held in the spring and summer.
- Need something to watch while you’re packing for your Salzburg cheap flight? Rent “The Sound of Music”, the award winning musical starring Julie Andrews. Scenes from the movie were filmed in downtown Salzburg, and tours are available for avid fans looking to visit the locations where their favorite songs were shot.
- Constructed in 1077 and still overlooking the city of Salzburg today, Hohensalzburg Castle is one of the largest and most well preserved fortresses in Europe. The castle was never conquered by impending enemy troops, and the Fortress Museum chronicles its steadfast history.
- Take a tour of St Peter’s cemetery and visit the grave with seven crosses. According to legend, Sebastian Stumpfegger is buried here and is said to have murdered his seven wives by tickling them to death.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Salzburg
USA departure airports for flights to Salzburg
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Salzburg
- New York (NYC)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Miami (MIA)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Denver (DEN)
- Portland (PDX)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Boston (BOS)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Seattle (SEA)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Columbus (CMH)
- Milwaukee (MKE)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- St Paul (MSP)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Washington (WAS)
- Hartford (BDL)
- Baltimore (BWI)
This is useful information about Salzburg
More useful information about Salzburg
- Booking a last minute flight to Europe will get you there in time for Oktoberfest in Germany.
- If you are planning an extended stay, then taking a one way flight to Europe may be the best choice.
- Find student travel deals and explore Europe cheaply.
- If you’re driving, consider renting a diesel. Diesels often get better mileage than other cars.
- Some non-typical European destinations include The Netherlands, which has a rich history as a world power.
- Consider booking flights to Europe to visit friends or family while they study abroad during college.
- Trains run throughout mainland Europe and, since the Eurotunnel, also connect France to the UK.
- Hundred of airports throughout the continent serve international travelers for direct flights to Europe.
- If you are under 26 years old or a teacher, you can visit the Louvre museum in Paris for free!
- Great capital cities to visit across European countries include Athens, Dublin, London, Madrid, Paris, and Rome.