Cheap flights to Fairbanks, Alaska (AK)
When is the best time to fly to Fairbanks?
Late April through August are the best months to visit Fairbanks. A constant flurry of activities and events come over Fairbanks during this period, and the Northern Lights can be seen, too. Winter temperatures have a tendency to drop to around -50 to -60 degrees, but for those who don’t mind the chilling weather, cheap flights to Fairbanks are likely to be found.
Fairbanks is the third largest metropolitan area in Alaska, and there’s certainly no shortage of opportunities to enjoy the scenery that is so uniquely Alaska. Also known as the “Golden Heart City,” Fairbanks welcomes visitors with picturesque backdrops, the most stunning of which may be the incredible natural phenomenon that is the Northern Lights.
The Northern Lights are one of the most popular attractions in Fairbanks, best viewed between the months of April and August. During this natural lightshow, the night sky glows with brilliant streaks of green and purple, a sight unlike anything else found in the natural world. The outdoors has plenty more to offer visitors to Fairbanks, too. Active travelers can enjoy mountain biking, fishing, camping and rafting in the area.
The traditions of the region are also on full display, too, and adventurous visitors can even learn to travel in true Alaskan fashion during a full teamed dog sled experience. Both rides and hands-on driving experiences are available, and these dog sleds make for a uniquely local way – not to mention exhilarating – way to experience the local landscape. Annual sculpture contests, hands-on gold mining experiences and local hot springs are a few more ways visitors can tap into the local heritage of Fairbanks during their stay.
Other popular activities while visiting one of the last great frontiers of the U.S. include riverboat tours, golfing and kayaking. Without a doubt, Fairbanks is an extraordinary place to explore the best Alaska has to offer.
Getting around Fairbanks
When it comes to getting around Fairbanks, renting a car is often the most convenient mode of transportation. It allows travelers the freedom and flexibility to see all that Fairbanks has to offer. Limited bus service is available in the city, but infrequent buses can add a layer of inconvenience. Taxis can also be arranged in Fairbanks by phone.
Getting from the Airport to the City
Fairbanks International Airport (FAI) is the closest major airport serving the city and is located less than six miles from the center of Fairbanks. The local bus system connects to the airport, though it is not the most convenient option. Shuttles and taxis are a better way to get from the airport into the city. Rental cars are also available at the airport through a number of companies.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Fairbanks
USA departure airports for flights to Fairbanks
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Fairbanks
- Seattle (SEA)
- Dallas (DFW)
- New York (NYC)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Houston (IAH)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Denver (DEN)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Boston (BOS)
- St Louis (STL)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Anchorage (ANC)
- Austin (AUS)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Little Rock (LIT)
- Pittsburgh (PIT)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Jacksonville (JAX)
- Tampa (TPA)
- Portland (PDX)
- Memphis (MEM)
- Milwaukee (MKE)
- Newark (EWR)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Grand Junction (GJT)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- Raleigh (RDU)
This is useful information about Fairbanks
More useful information about Fairbanks
- People taking one way flights to Alaska can arrive at the Fairbanks International Airport.
- Seward and Whittier are the most common departures for Alaskan cruises.
- Other popular ways to get around Alaska, outside of driving, are by water or by air.
- Fun fact: The state of Rhode Island could fit into Alaska 425 times.
- Book direct flights to Alaska and venture to "The Last Frontier” to see the nation’s most beautiful landscapes.
- Take an Alaska flight and arrive with an open mind. Let the country captivate you with its beauty.
- Many last minute flights to Alaska arrive in Anchorage at the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.
- Alaskan weather is famously unpredictable; a snow storm in July followed by a hot, humid day is not uncommon.
- Despite being twice the size of Texas, Alaska only has 3 electoral votes.
- Alaska Airlines is actually based outside of Seattle.
Other user searches
- Flights Reno-Tahoe International to Tennessee
- Philadelphia to New Zealand
- Cheap flights to Dalaman from El Paso
- Cheap Houston to New York flights
- Flights to San Francisco International from Norfolk International
- Flights from Boston to Dallas
- New York to Pittsburgh flights
- Switzerland cheap flights
- Hilo to California
- New York to Spain