Cheap flights to Faro, Portugal
Faro is one of the more heavily trafficked Portugal cities. As the major transportation hub for the Algarve, many travelers book cheap flights to Faro as an entryway to the coastal Algarve towns and resorts. Those with a few extra hours to spare will find plenty to do in Faro. Packed full of charm and charisma, Faro is one of Portugal’s more lively cities. While it still captures the essence of an old fishing port, today’s Faro is more modern with historical influences blended in.
Take a breather after your flight to Faro and hop a trolley to Old Town for a glimpse at medieval artifacts and Roman ruins. Stroll into the Igreja do Carmo, a ghostly chapel decorated with the bones of monks buried at a nearby cemetery. Save the beaches for the resort towns in the Algarve – instead, visit some of Faro’s museums including the archaeological Municipal Museum and the local maritime museum. Helpful hint: have an early morning Faro flight? Spend a night in the city and hit the town. Faro has great restaurants and an attractive bar scene so you can explore the nightlife and still make your Faro flight in the morning.
Faro’s location on the southern coast of Portugal benefits from the gorgeous, cloud-free summers that keep the city relatively cool. High temperatures in the summertime can reach over 80 degrees Fahrenheit, while the average temperature in the winter rarely dips below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The ideal time to book flights to Faro would be during the spring or fall, when the rain is scarce and it’s more comfortable compared to the heat that hits the city May through September.
Best Time to Fly to Faro
With mild winters and sun-drenched summers, Faro is the ideal four-season travel destination.
Peak Season: Flights to Faro are packed as soon as the temperature begins to rise for the coming summer. The beaches of southern Portugal draw tourists in droves from around the world, so make your Faro travel reservations early, especially if you plan to spend timein the Algarve.
Off-peak Season: Though the winds of winter cool off the Algarve considerably, the mild, slightly rainier disposition the region takes on from December through March makes it easy to find cheap flights to Faro during this time of year.
Getting around Faro
When your cheap flight to Faro lands at the airport, hail a taxi to get downtown. Faro doesn’t have a metro, but you’ll be able to get around easily on foot. Head elsewhere in Portugal on the many connecting trains and buses.
Faro Travel Information
- Nature buffs from around the world are booking flights to Faro to see Ria Formosa, a lagoon that spans over 100 square miles in the Algarve. Ria Formosa is home to a massive variety of birds that frequent the lagoon in the winter months. The towns surrounding the estuary reserve serve as excellent daytrips for those interested in exploring ancient Roman and Moorish ruins.
- The Capela de’Ossos, which literally translates to “chapel of bones”, doesn’t leave much to the imagination with its name, so don’t be shocked when you enter this chapel to see that its walls are decorated with over 1,000 human skulls.
- Lagos, which held the seat as former Algarve capital before a tsunami wiped out the city in the 18th century, is now home to picturesque beaches, caves, rock formations and ideal settings for sunset views. Your flight to Faro will deposit you 50 miles from this stretch of seashore, and bus or train will take you to the beach from the city center easily. If you feel like catching rays more locally, head to Praia de Faro, which is the resident favorite when it comes to local beaches.
- If you booked your cheap flight to Faro for a trip during the month of October you’ll be in town to catch the festival honoring the patron saint of the city, Santa Iria. This is a great event to include on any Portugal trip itinerary for its splendid display of local handicrafts, cuisine, and performance art.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Faro
USA departure airports for flights to Faro
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Faro
- New York (NYC)
- Miami (MIA)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Boston (BOS)
- Newark (EWR)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Denver (DEN)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- Portland (PDX)
- Birmingham (BHM)
- Houston (IAH)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Raleigh (RDU)
- Kansas City (MCI)
- Washington (WAS)
This is useful information about Faro
More useful information about Faro
- Fatima is a spot of spiritual importance, and visitors from around the world take part in a pilgrimage.
- Sintra is home to some of Portugal’s most picturesque man-made sights, including technicolor castles and mansions.
- Spend an evening out in the cobblestone streets of Bairro Alto.
- The Douro Valley in Costa Verde produces the region’s famous port wine.
- Cooling sea breezes drive visitors on to last minute flights to Portugal in droves from May through September.
- Book a flight to Portugal for picturesque natural scenery and miles and miles of coastline.
- Take a direct flight to Portugal and explore medieval towns, windswept coastlines, and romantic hideaways.
- Most one way flights to Portugal touch down at Lisbon International Airport.
Other user searches
- Cheap Chicago to Cuba flights
- Cheap flights to Milan from Brownsville
- Flights Kailua Kona to Dominican Republic
- Syracuse flights
- United Airlines flight
- Flights to Puerto Vallarta from Austin
- Cheap flights to Houston from Miami
- Cheap Air New Zealand flights
- Cheap flights to North Carolina
- Flights New York to San Francisco