Cheap flights to Mississippi (MS), USA
People book flights to Mississippi for various reasons: the quaint towns and wide-open spaces harbored by mansions with an interesting history is just one allure to travelers. Those travelers who book flights to Mississippi will find deep south state inviting and full of activity.
Most flights to Mississippi arrive in the state's capital, Jackson, which is commonly recognized by its landmark capitol building. Travelers staying in Jackson will find a plethora of cultural centers, historic monuments, and museums to explore. If a mansion strikes your fancy, hop off your Mississippi flight and head to the city of Natchez, which lies on the Louisiana border and is home to dozens of preserved pre-war mansions.
Take some time to explore coastline of the "Magnolia State" on the sandy beaches of Biloxi and Gulfport. If you’re booking a flight to Mississippi for entertainment then you’re in luck – this state boasts some of the most well-artists of past generations including Tennessee Williams, Elvis Presley, Jimmy Rodgers, and BB King.
Mississippi has short mild winters and long humid summers. Summer temperatures are mostly the same throughout the state, and many places exceed 100 (F). The Gulf Coast is warmer in winter with average January temperatures in the low 50s while the northeast is in the low 40s. A small amount of snow or sleet is typical, but cold spells are so short the ground rarely freezes. Normal precipitation ranges from about 50 to 65 inches.The hurricane season is late summer and early fall, and tornadoes hit land in the spring.
Best Time to Fly to Mississippi
Peak tourism along the Gulf Coast is June to September. The golf courses casinos and hotels continue to reopen since rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina. Book ahead for Mississippi flights and accommodations; until all hotels reopen, there are fewer rooms available.
Spring and fall are also popular times to book flights to Mississippi. The weather is mild, the wildflowers put on a show in the spring, and the fall foliage envies that of New England.
The Natchez Bluff Blues Fest is the third weekend in April, and the Greenville Mississippi Delta Blues Festival is the third weekend in September.
Costs of accommodations along the Gulf Coast drop considerably in the off season. Find a cheap flight to Mississippi and many discounted accommodations during the winter months.
Getting around Mississippi
Bus service along the coast is frequent, but less frequent inland. Trains run through the state, stopping at Jackson and Greenwood. Steamboating down the Mississippi River with ports of call at several cities is a relaxing but expensive tour of the western part of the state. Off the river, the best way to see Mississippi is by car.
The Delta is best seen from its back roads. You need to be careful as this is a gun-toting area, encounters with the local police are to be avoided, and camping is not recommended. That said, the birthplace of the blues has great music, scenery, and festivals, so book ahead.
The unspoiled Natchez Trace Parkway has no commercial vehicles, no advertising, and no commercial buildings. A two-lane meander from Jackson to Tupelo with plenty of places to stop. This parkway is also popular with bicycle tours.
Once you are in Natchez and Vicksburg, bus and horse-drawn carriage tours take you to the sights and battlefields. Downtown Natchez can also be explored on foot.
Along the Gulf Coast, beachcomber trolleys run from the beach to the business center of Gulfport.
Mississippi Travel Information
- If you’re in Natchez and crave some real Southern cooking, head for the King’s Tavern. It is in the oldest building in the town, and it's said a ghost still roams the streets. History and haunting aside, the restaurant is one of the most popular for traditional Southern food.
- No trip to the Mississippi would be complete without an excursion on the huge river the state is named after. You can explore the “mighty water” from canoe, kayak or boat. One of the more relaxing excursions is to take a trip in a paddle boat. River tours are available from many of the towns that sit on the river.
- The main Elvis site is of course, Graceland, but the King was born in a small house in Tupelo. True Elvis fans book flights to Mississippi to visit the King's birthplace.
- The only cactus plantation in the world is found in Mississippi. With a staggering amount of different types of cacti to be seen (more than 3,500 species of plants are found on the plantation), if you want to learn everything there is to know about the prickly succulents head to 1088 Champion Hill Rd in Edwards.
- A Hurricane Katrina Memorial is situated in the town of Biloxi. Opened in February 2006, the memorial stands 12ft tall: the height of the water during the storm in the middle of town.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Mississippi
USA departure airports for flights to Mississippi
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Mississippi
- New York (NYC)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Detroit (DTT)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Sacramento (SMF)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Boston (BOS)
- Houston (IAH)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Seattle (SEA)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Indianapolis (IND)
- Newark (EWR)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Tampa (TPA)
- Norfolk (ORF)
- San Antonio (SAT)
- Kansas City (MCI)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- San Jose (SJC)
- Hartford (BDL)
- Raleigh (RDU)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Oakland (OAK)
- Austin (AUS)
Select your preferred destination from the list below
- Flights to Columbus
- Flights to Greenville
- Flights to Gulfport
- Flights to Hattiesburg
- Flights to Jackson
- Flights to Meridian
- Flights to Tupelo
Other user searches
- Cheap flights to New York
- South West USA to Parma
- Ribeirao Preto from Fayetteville Rgnl/Grannis Field
- Flights from New York to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International
- Flights to Mexico City from Grand Rapids
- Tampa to Brazil
- Chicago to New Orleans
- Cheap flights to Tampa International
- US Airways flights
- Cheap flights to Yaounde from Unalaska