Cheap flights to Maine (ME), USA
The flight to Maine leads to simpler pleasures. It’s easy to find peace in Maine, thanks to the scenic coast and more than 30 state parks. People book flights to Maine in the summer for a retreat from the usual chaotic lifestyle – swimming in the cool lakes, drying off under a tree and picnicking under the clouds. Visitors book flights to Maine every summer to hear the sounds of loons echo outside a rented beach house, or start the mornings with a canoe ride and a cup of coffee on one of Maine’s 2,500 lakes.
There is a certain level of tranquility in Maine that keeps travelers booking repeat flights to Maine every year. From the Bar Harbor scenic region and Acadia National Park to Allagash National Wilderness Waterway, the Wadsworth-Longfellow House in Portland there is plenty to do and see in Maine.
What’s a trip to Maine without dining on a lobster? In 2005, Maine lobstermen caught nearly 63 million pounds of lobster. Once your flight to Maine arrives, rent a car and take advantage of a truly New England experience. Start your Maine vacation with a drive on Maine's Route 1 along the coast. Stop at the diners, antique shops and farmers markets along the way and get a taste for what Maine life is really like.
Maine’s winters are long, snowy, and very cold. January temperatures are generally in the low teens to high 20s (F). Spring is late with May temperatures in the low 40s to low 60s. Summer is mild with the warmest days in July (60s to upper 80s) and the most humid days in August. September’s temperatures drop down through the 60s and the foliage starts to turn.The state’s most severe weather is the nor’easters, with their high winds and heavy snowfalls.
Best Time to Fly to Maine
The high season is summer, from July 4th to Labor Day. Mount Desert Island alone brings in two million visitors during this season. Maine flights and resorts and hotels can book up fast and prices might be higher so travelers should plan ahead. The second peak comes in the winter when the snow enthusiasts arrive for winter snow sports.
Fall is also very popular for the foliage which can start in September and peak in October, depending on how far north you go.
Spring is a good time to visit, but the season is very short and unpredictable and always muddy. It can happen any weekend in mid-May, or sometimes in June. Early summer can have fewer crowds but swarms of mosquitoes and black flies. Thanks to Maine's close proximity to New Hampshire and Massachusetts, finding cheap flights to Maine is easy to do with a little research.
Maine Travel Information
- For outdoor pursuits, head for Arostook, the largest and most northern county in Maine. There are 2,000 lakes and rivers for canoeing or fishing; cycle trails through potato blossom fields; woods and mountains for hiking and, in the winter, cross-country skiing.
- Boothbay Harbor has been called the boating capital of New England. It’s the largest harbor north of Boston, and you can stay here and enjoy the town’s restaurants and shops, or take a boat out on the water.
- Portland is the largest city in Maine, though not the capital of the state. One of its many attractions are the lighthouses surrounding the city. Portland Head Light is the oldest in the state; it has been operating since 1791. The adjacent lighthouse keeper’s house has now been turned into a museum. As well as the lighthouse itself, a number of walking trails start from the area, from which ocean views are stunning.
- 489 Congress Street, Portland, is the Wadsworth-Longfellow House; childhood home of the poet. The house has been restored to how it would have looked in the 1850s and is run by the Maine Historical Society.
- Trying the seafood, especially lobster and clam, is an essential part of any visit to Maine. The Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound is one of the best-loved lobster restaurants in the area.
- Acadia National Park is formed of more than 30,000 acres primarily on Mount Desert Island off the coast. The park has coastline, mountains, lakes and woodland, as well as 40 species of wildlife.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Maine
USA departure airports for flights to Maine
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Maine
- New York (NYC)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Kansas City (MCI)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Orlando (MCO)
- St Louis (STL)
- Houston (IAH)
- Dallas (DFW)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Columbus (CMH)
- Greensboro (GSO)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Denver (DEN)
- Cincinnati (CVG)
- Sacramento (SMF)
- Tampa (TPA)
- New Orleans (MSY)
- Miami (MIA)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Pittsburgh (PIT)
- Raleigh (RDU)
- Richmond (RIC)
- Jacksonville (JAX)
- San Antonio (SAT)
- Detroit (DTT)
- Oklahoma City (OKC)
- Louisville (SDF)
- Cleveland (CLE)