Cheap flights to Oakland, California (CA)
Located only a few miles from the San Francisco border, Oakland is one of the most famous sister-cities in California. However close to San Francisco it may be in miles, Oakland is far from the eccentricity of its neighboring bay city. Oakland is one of the busiest industrial ports on the West Coast and while its working-class personality remains the heartbeat of the city, “Oak-town” welcomes a slew of visitors every year who enjoy taking part in the simpler Californian lifestyle.
Book flights to Oakland during sports season and catch the MLB’s Oakland Athletics or the NFL’s Oakland Raiders in action at the Oakland Coliseum. Outdoorsy travelers will enjoy a sailboat ride along Lake Merritt or a stroll through one of the many outdoor festivals that Oakland puts on every summer. Don’t dismiss Oakland as second-rate city just because it’s neighboring San Francisco is a mecca for entertainment - Oakland has some of the best shows, theaters, and museums California has to offer.
The Oakland weather is cool to mild throughout the year, with foggy summers and wet winters. Summers in Oakland (between June and September) are cooler than other parts of inland California and winters (December to February) are mild during the day, with temperatures seldom dropping below 50 degrees.
Best Time to Fly to Oakland
Peak season is normally dictated by school vacations and family travel plans around the holidays. Flights to Oakland are packed in the summer time and most major attractions are full with tourists. Christmas season and the New Year are also peak times to travel to Oakland.
Oakland sees a dip in tourists between September and June when school is in session. However, this is also a good time to book cheap flights to Oakland if you want to avoid crowds.
Getting around Oakland
You can get to and from San Francisco to Oakland on the city’s BART system. It has one of the longest underwater transit tunnels in the world, taking you under the bay to San Francisco city. Fares are reasonable and children at the age of four and under ride for free. The trains run all week long, but times vary on the weekends, so check one of the schedules posted around the city.
Oakland Travel Information
- If you want tickets to a baseball game, go online and buy your Oakland A's seats ahead of time. The regular baseball season runs from March to September.
- Take a trip to the Oakland Museum of California and get a history lesson like you've never experienced. Learn about the state and its people, history, culture, geology, art, environment, and ecology. The museum features exhibitions of works by California artists, collections of historic artifacts and historic re-creations of California's major movements including the 2006 earthquake and a tribute to baseball, which showcases artifacts and photos from America's favorite pastime.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Oakland
USA departure airports for flights to Oakland
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Oakland
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Houston (IAH)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- New York (NYC)
- Chicago (CHI)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Ontario (ONT)
- Long Beach (LGB)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Burbank (BUR)
- Portland (PDX)
- Salt Lake City (SLC)
- Austin (AUS)
- Denver (DEN)
- Washington (WAS)
- Boston (BOS)
- Tampa (TPA)
- Newark (EWR)
- Cleveland (CLE)
- Indianapolis (IND)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- St Louis (STL)
- Honolulu (HNL)
- San Antonio (SAT)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- New Orleans (MSY)
Interesting information about Oakland
More useful information about Oakland
- Football fans should take a one way flight to an Oakland Raiders game.
- Horizon Air services flights to Oakland.
- If you're looking to visit San Francisco but are low on funds, consider taking a direct flight to Oakland.
- Vacationing in Oakland is ideal all year long thanks to the moderate tempetures of northern California.
- During the summer be sure to catch an Oakland Athletics game. Prices are cheap and plentiful!
- Oakland Lakeside Park is full of free events all year long and is highly recommended for families.
- Boating enthusiasts should take a trip to Lake Merritt.
- While Oakland is fairly busy all year long, you can find great last minute flights in the fall and spring.
- History buffs should visit the Oakland Museum of California.