Cheap flights to Fontanarossa (CTA)
Catania is a city of contrasts, sandwiched between a volatile mountain and the blue waters of the Ionian Sea. Standing in the shadow of Mount Etna on the east coast of Sicily, this is a fertile land that has been shaped by fire and ash deposited by numerous volcanic eruptions. With a lengthy history that dates back to the 8th Century BC, this Italian city has a wealth of ancient treasures to discover. A short walking tour of the city highlights many examples of classical and Baroque buildings, including the ancient remains of a Roman city, complete with amphitheatre, acropolis and aqueduct. At its heart stands Catania Cathedral, a majestic building dedicated to Saint Agatha, notable for its marble statues and dome. The Piazza del Duomo is the city's main square and is a listed World Heritage Site characterised by magnificent Baroque buildings. In the center of the Piazza is the symbol of the city "u Liotru", an unusual stone elephant fountain created by Giovanni Battista Vaccarini in 1736. Of course if you want to get up close to one of the biggest attractions in the area, then you'll need to strap on your walking boots and head out of the city. The awe inspiring sight of Mount Etna, Europe's tallest active volcano, draws many tourists to the area. Brave adventurers can take a variety of excursions to ascend to the summit and enjoy the superb views of the surrounding landscape and the smoking craters. The volcano can be tackled in a variety of ways, including cable car, 4 x 4 bus and guided walk.
Best Time to Fly to Catania
The Mediterranean climate ensures that visitors arriving in the area can enjoy incredibly hot days of sunshine for most of the year. Between June and August temperatures are at their highest, making this a popular time to enjoy a summer holiday.
Although summer in the city is the busiest time of the year, Catania is still pleasant throughout the winter months between December and February, making this an excellent time to enjoy local attractions at a more economical time of the year.
Getting around Catania
Catania has a small downtown area that can easily be explored on foot, however you can also hop on one of the public buses that run throughout the area. There is also a metro service that runs between Borgo and Porto around the city outskirts.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Fontanarossa
USA departure airports for flights to Fontanarossa
Useful information about Fontanarossa
More useful information about Fontanarossa
- Book a one way flight to Italy and immerse yourself in the works of Raphael, Michelangelo, and da Vinci.
- Bologna is a beautiful city with a medieval center, old brick palaces, and porticoed streets.
- In Italy, the mountain ski season is December through April.
- Travelers take direct flights to Italy to ski the snow-capped mountain tops of the Dolomites.
- The slow travel season for Italy usually runs from November to mid-December.
- The entire country has the same coastal temperatures all year round except for the higher elevations.
- A last minute flight to Italy will get you to Venice in time for Carnival that takes place every February.
- Italy has set the groundwork for many of today’s literature, theater, art, and cuisine.
- Your best bet to see some of Italy's beautiful vineyards is to take an organized tour.
- Serious shoppers take flights to Italy to purchase some of the country's famed fashion.
Other user searches
- Flights Knoxville to St Maarten
- Flights Salisbury-Wicomico County Regional to Yulin Yuyang
- Cheap flights to John F. Kennedy International
- Phoenix to Turks and Caicos Islands
- Flights Hawaii from Chicago
- Cheap flights Kansas City
- Flights to San Francisco from Omaha
- Pittsburgh to Thailand
- Las Vegas airport
- Cheap flights Cebu