Cheap flights to Hilo, Big Island
Hilo is the largest and oldest city in the Hawaiian Islands, located on the Big Island of Hawaii. Flanked by two huge volcanoes, Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, the city is an important destination for volcanologists and anyone with a fascination for volcanic terrain. To the south of the city lies Kilauea, the world's most active volcano, where tourists can get a once in a lifetime chance to see the flowing lava from the current eruption or view the enormous smoking Halemaumau Crater. Dramatic features left from previous eruptions can also be explored on foot inside the Thurston Lava Tube at Nahuku, offering a different perspective of the lava flows. You can also witness the point where the lava meets the sea at Kalapana. The diverse landscape around the island offers a variety of activities for adventurous travelers. Whether you're a keen horse rider or prefer a day of hiking, there are plenty of trails to discover around the island. One of the most beautiful areas is the sacred Waipo Valley, the home of the Big Island's highest waterfall Hiilawe Falls and the Waipo Valley Lookout. Take a circular tour of the island and you'll discover beautiful black sandy beaches, tropical forests and enchanting scenery. If you're planning to spend time in and around Hilo, a short journey from the downtown area will lead to Rainbow Falls, a pretty waterfall amidst lush tropical foliage. To finish the day entranced by authentic Hawaiian festivities, try taking part in a luau to get a free lesson on how to dance the hula.
Best Time to Fly to Hilo
Hilo experiences high rainfall all through the year and temperatures remain high from January to December. If you want to visit Hilo during the Merrie Monarch Festival then stay here between March and April.
Between December and April accommodations prices tend to be expensive due to the large number of tourists. A better option is to visit in low season from May to November when prices are cheaper.
Getting around Hilo
There is very limited public transport on the island, so if you want to get around, you'll need to rent a car or take a guided tour. Buses and bikes can be used to get around small areas. You can find some of the tour companies located in the city.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Hilo
USA departure airports for flights to Hilo
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Hilo
- Honolulu (HNL)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Kahului (OGG)
- Seattle (SEA)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Chicago (CHI)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- San Jose (SJC)
- New York (NYC)
- Denver (DEN)
- Portland (PDX)
- Oakland (OAK)
- Sacramento (SMF)
- Houston (IAH)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- St Louis (STL)
- Washington (WAS)
- Lihue (LIH)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Boston (BOS)
- Kapalua (JHM)
- Tampa (TPA)
- Nashville (BNA)
- Fresno (FAT)
- Kansas City (MCI)
- Raleigh (RDU)
This is useful information about Hilo
More useful information about Hilo
- The state fish of Hawaii is small in size but large in name - the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a fish.
- The Big Island, Hawaii, is for many the true Hawaii with its snow-capped mountains and active volcanoes.
- Want to know what carriers will take you here? Hawaiian Airlines is among the most popular.
- Hawaii is made up of eight main islands with different attractions.
- Oahu is the most populated island. Honolulu, Waikiki beach, Pearl Harbor, and Diamond Head are here.
- Check out our tips for enjoying Hawaii on a Shoestring Budget.
- Due to its location, "Crossroads of the Pacific" is a nickname shippers give to Hawaii.
- Take a last minute flight to Hawaii and visit Maui, which is its second largest island.
- You can find deals on one way flights to Hawaii if you are flexible with your departure dates.
- Hawaii's capital, Honolulu is 4th in the USA for number of high rises.
- Taking a direct flight to Hawaii gives visitors a lot of options since there are many airports on the islands.