Cheap flights to Berne, Switzerland
Switzerland's capital city is an enchanting destination with many charms that few can resist. Berne is characterised by its medieval structures, impressive architecture and stunning views of the Alps that together offer its residents an unrivalled quality of life. Its Old Town is a World Heritage Site, which greets visitors with a quaint atmosphere and a network of picturesque streets to explore. Berne has an incredible number of historic sites, but one of the most famous is the Zytglogge, an ornate medieval Clock Tower, which was built in 1530. Among the city's other historic sites is the Munster, a Gothic cathedral with a 330 ft tower. In the lower old town on a slope of the River Aare, a purpose-built Bear Park is the home of several bears, and you can watch them play, swim and fish by following paths down to the river bank. Bears are particularly significant to the city, being the mascot and emblem that appears on the city's coat of arms. If you want to get a personal look at one of the city's most famous former residents, you can take a tour of the Einstein House, where Albert Einstein lived with his wife from 1903 to 1905. The furnishings and decor displayed here give a good idea of what the residence would have looked like during this time. Other notable historic buildings include the Town Hall, Prison Tower and the Granary. Of course, Berne's attractions need not only be enjoyed from the confines of the city. Journey out to the nearby mountain, the Gurten, and you will find a beautiful park setting and recreation center, complete with miniature railway and play park.
Best Time to Fly to Berne
Berne's climate offers warm days in the summer months, particularly between June and August. If you want to enjoy the many attractions in warm, dry weather, this is the best time to go.
During the winter months the temperatures can drop below freezing, but if you don't mind the cold, you can still do plenty of sightseeing in the months of December to February and get your vacation at a cheaper price.
Getting around Berne
The city's superior public transport system makes it easy to get around the city. Much of the immediate downtown are can be explored on foot, but there is also a regular system of trams, buses and trolleybuses that run throughout the city. If you want to visit the suburbs, you can catch the S-Bahn train to reach the outskirts and other nearby cities.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Berne
USA departure airports for flights to Berne
Interesting information about Berne
More useful information about Berne
- Booking a last minute flight to Europe will get you there in time for Oktoberfest in Germany.
- If you are planning an extended stay, then taking a one way flight to Europe may be the best choice.
- Find student travel deals and explore Europe cheaply.
- If you’re driving, consider renting a diesel. Diesels often get better mileage than other cars.
- Some non-typical European destinations include The Netherlands, which has a rich history as a world power.
- Consider booking flights to Europe to visit friends or family while they study abroad during college.
- Trains run throughout mainland Europe and, since the Eurotunnel, also connect France to the UK.
- Hundred of airports throughout the continent serve international travelers for direct flights to Europe.
- If you are under 26 years old or a teacher, you can visit the Louvre museum in Paris for free!
- Great capital cities to visit across European countries include Athens, Dublin, London, Madrid, Paris, and Rome.