Cheap flights to Tromso, Norway
Also known as the "Capital of the Arctic" the striking and pristine city of Tromso, in Norway is a vacationers' dream. This is the largest town in Northern Norway and offers a lively atmosphere, complete with its famous buskers, cultural events, midnight sun marathons and plenty of places to enjoy a pint or two. Beautiful snow-capped peaks create wonderful vistas and skiing and dog-sledding in winter, while summer offers opportunities for hiking. Nature and wildlife activities are well-represented in the area, making this one of the most popular places to visit in Norway. Attractions are plentiful and include the Tromso University Museum, Polaria-which is a multimedia film about the region, the arching triangles of the Arctic Cathedral, The Tromso War Museum and the Polar Museum.
The historic Mack Brewery was established in 1877 and it still produces 18 kinds of beer. The well-maintained botanic gardens offer families a green area to walk in and enjoy. This is the world's northernmost botanic garden. To enjoy a view of the midnight sun and the city, take the cable car to the summit of Mount Storsteinen where you can enjoy lunch and explore the extensive network of hiking trails. During winter, sporting activities dominate activity in the region with dog-sled excursions, snowmobile trips, fishing and arctic adventure tours being very popular.
Best Time to Fly to Tromso
Tromso's climate is subarctic with cold winter temperatures and short summers. The winter months of December to February are cold with temperatures of 24 degrees Fahrenheit and snowfalls. The Midnight Sun is a feature from 20 May to 22 July, offering 24 hours of light for two months. From 21 November to 21 January, the sun gives way to the polar night, when visitors enjoy the phenomenon of blue twilight, as opposed to total darkness. Winter is a great time for snow activities. From September to March the Northern Lights may be seen, and tours and safaris are common.The cheapest rates and hotel rooms in Tromso are available during the off-peak season. This is outside of the summer months and Midnight Sun period. The winter months are peak season in the area, due to the many snow activities taking place in the area and the advent of the Northern Lights, so a visit outside of these times and the festive holiday will yield the cheapest rates on hotels and airfare.
Getting around Tromso
City buses, taxis and private rental cars will also help you make the most of getting around downtown and the surrounding areas. Rail services in the area are limited, so it is best to arrange other forms of transportation while in the city. It is possible to explore downtown on foot or bicycle but this is best left for the summer months.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Tromso
USA departure airports for flights to Tromso
Useful information about Tromso
More useful information about Tromso
- Booking a last minute flight to Europe will get you there in time for Oktoberfest in Germany.
- If you are planning an extended stay, then taking a one way flight to Europe may be the best choice.
- Find student travel deals and explore Europe cheaply.
- If you’re driving, consider renting a diesel. Diesels often get better mileage than other cars.
- Some non-typical European destinations include The Netherlands, which has a rich history as a world power.
- Consider booking flights to Europe to visit friends or family while they study abroad during college.
- Trains run throughout mainland Europe and, since the Eurotunnel, also connect France to the UK.
- Hundred of airports throughout the continent serve international travelers for direct flights to Europe.
- If you are under 26 years old or a teacher, you can visit the Louvre museum in Paris for free!
- Great capital cities to visit across European countries include Athens, Dublin, London, Madrid, Paris, and Rome.