Cheap flights to Luanda, Angola
When is the best time to fly to Luanda?
Luanda experiences a wet season and a dry season, with constant temperatures throughout the year, generally sitting in the high teens to high 20s Celsius.
A popular time to visit is during the dry months of June to October, which offer warm, dry conditions that are ideal for exploring the city. The temperature during these months is also a little cooler, around 18-26°C, which can be more pleasant for visitors. Avoid planning a holiday during this time if you are looking for a cheap flight to Luanda.
The hottest months are January to April, when many head for the city's beaches to cool down from high temperatures of around 30°C. The rainy season runs from November to April, with the months of March and April marking the height of the wet period. This increase in rainfall can be off putting to some visitors; however, February can be a great time to book a flight to Luanda as the city's Carnival takes over the streets with colourful floats, extravagant costumes and local music.
Luanda, Angola's capital, located on the Atlantic coast, is a fascinating, vibrant place, almost entirely rebuilt after the decades of civil war that followed the end of Portuguese colonial rule in 1975.
Today's visitors who take flights to Luanda will enjoy a warm welcome and will find plenty to see and do. Luanda’s many restaurants offer an enticing mixture of Portuguese and African food. Benfica Market just outside the city centre sells locally-made arts and crafts, often made by the stall-holders themselves. Locals say the best beach is on Mussola Island, reached by boat. Towering over the city centre is the Augostinho Neto Mausoleum, honouring the first president of independent Angola. The National Museum of Slavery takes visitors to a grim period in Angola's history. It is built in the area where Angolan slaves were shipped off to the Americas. The National Museum of National History has an intriguing display of thousands of insects, fish and birds. All of them are indigenous and many are endangered. It's an easy way to learn about the natural riches of Angola. Igreja Nossa Senhora do Pópulo is a church that Angolans regard as one of their most sacred sites. The church dates back to the 15th century, and it features baroque architecture and an extravagant interior. The National Museum of Anthropology educates visitors on the great depths of Angolan history and culture, prior to Portuguese colonisation. Exhibits include a wide variety of traditional masks, as well as weapons and musical instruments.
Getting around Luanda
Luanda has a large fleet of blue and white minibus taxis that local people use to get around the city. During the day, they provide safe and cheap transport for visitors. Private taxis are also increasingly available at very reasonable rates. The government has invested in a bus service, which is adding many new routes.
Getting from the Airport to the City
Flights to Luanda are served by Quatro de Fevereiro Airport (LAD) which is located 3.7 miles (6 km) from the city centre. Car rental is available at the airport. Metered taxis can be hailed outside the single main terminal building. The drive to central Luanda takes 15 minutes, depending on traffic. Many hotels have free shuttle services to and from the airport.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Luanda
USA departure airports for flights to Luanda
Interesting information about Luanda
More useful information about Luanda
- South Africa retains strong influences from Dutch and British culture.
- Because you need a return or onward ticket to enter the country, one way flights to Africa are not ideal.
- Direct flights from American cities to African cities are rare.
- The entire continent of Africa is generally warm year-round, with North Africa being the hottest.
- Africa’s history is as vast and rich as the continent itself.
- For a breath taking beach experience, visit the Tanzanian island of Zanzibar.
- Booking a last minute flight to Africa is not advisable, since much preparation is usually needed.
- Kenya offers an extraordinary Safari experience.
Other user searches
- Sardinia from New York flights
- Flights to Aberdeen International from Yuma
- Flights to Jerusalem
- Cheap flights Costa Rica
- Cheap flights to La Guardia
- Fort Lauderdale to London
- Chicago from Indianapolis flights
- Los Angeles to Jinan flights
- Flights Irvine to Myrtle Beach International
- Cheap Albuquerque to Negril flights