Cheap flights to Heraklion, Crete
Heraklion, an ancient city once thought to be the home of the legendary Minotaur, now stands an incredible urban fortress, offering visitors a unique experience steeped in myth and history. The largest city on the island of Crete, Heraklion is a perfect blend of ancient culture and contemporary city life. Hidden beneath its tough cosmopolitan exterior lies a selection of hidden gems, including excellent architecture, delicious culinary delights and some of the most famous sites in antiquity.
In just a day, you can stroll through the old city towards the Venetian Koules Fortress, a formidable structure overlooking a beautiful harbor, before lunching at a seafront restaurant to sample some of the region's local cuisine. The Historical Museum of Crete, and the nearby Archaeological Museum, are also just a short walk along the coast offering visitors a once in a lifetime glimpse at a wonderful collection of Crete's historical treasures. If it's ancient life you seek, take a quick drive to one of the most important archaeological sites in the world, the Palace of Knossos.
As night falls around Lions Square, home to the famous Morosini Fountain, you'll enter a central hub for night-time activity. The fountain leads to a street full of picturesque gift shops, markets and boutiques, perfect for spending an afternoon browsing in before heading to the surrounding bars and cafes for a relaxing evening under the stars.
Best Time to Fly to Heraklion
Heraklion's high season falls within July and August when the weather is warmest and the number of visitors rapidly increases. Many flock here to enjoy the various beaches and outdoor excursions, but expect prices to be much higher during this busy season. The months of May and June, as well as September and October, are ideal for visiting Heraklion, not only because the weather is pleasant without being overbearing, but because the region is much quieter. Also, as most of these months fall within school term times, flights will be much more affordable.
Getting around Heraklion
A large and heavily populated city, Heraklion has a good public transport system. For a small fee the local bus route offers trips as far as Knossos. Whilst most attractions can be reached on foot, taxis can easily be rented for a pre-agreed price. You'll find these stands near to squares, such as Lion Square. If you prefer, there are also a number of car rental companies within the airport.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Heraklion
USA departure airports for flights to Heraklion
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Heraklion
- New York (NYC)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Boston (BOS)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Newark (EWR)
- Washington (WAS)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Cleveland (CLE)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- Wichita (ICT)
- Miami (MIA)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Portland (PDX)
- Denver (DEN)
- Detroit (DTT)
- Tampa (TPA)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- Des Moines (DSM)
- Nashville (BNA)
- Pittsburgh (PIT)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Albany (ALB)
Interesting information about Heraklion
More useful information about Heraklion
- In Athens, you can explore the Acropolis, the Parthenon, and the Epidaurus amphitheater.
- A popular time to take one way flights to Greece is between June and August when the weather is best.
- When your last minute flight to Greece arrives, you'll be in the country where the Olympic Games were born.
- The beautiful and verdant island Zante or Zakynthos, on the Ionian islands, is another popular vacation destination.
- Many travelers take direct flights to Greece for a tour of Athens or on a honeymoon to Santorini.
- Crete is the largest and most popular of the Greek islands, with two international airports.
- One place worth visiting is the Peloponissos, which has a spectacular landscape of mountains, caves, and volcanoes.
- Greece enjoys long Mediterranean summers, with warm temperatures and about 11 hours of sunshine a day.