Cheap flights to Chania, Crete
Chania is the epitome of a traditional Greek city, a place where visitors can lose themselves within narrow winding streets and discover ancient remnants of lost civilisations. Once the capital of the Cretan State, Chania is a popular tourist destination for those looking for a beautiful waterfront setting surrounded by crumbling buildings and waterside cafes. The city is located on the northern coast of Crete and is the site of an ancient Minoan settlement. This is a city where ancient and modern architecture meet in two distinct areas. The old town draws in many tourists who come to explore the picturesque historic squares and narrow alleyways that were built in the Venetian and Turkish periods, such as the main Eleftherios Venizelos Square. The old harbor and seafront provides a wonderful atmospheric backdrop during daytime or evening, when the local nightlife comes alive. After exploring the historic streets of the old town, a stroll along the harbor wall leads to the Venetian Lighthouse, one of the oldest of its kind in the Mediterranean. Although no longer operational, it is a popular visitor attraction that is best seen when lit up at night. If you want to see displays of ancient artifacts from local excavations, a visit to the Archaeological Museum is an excellent way to learn about the history of the local area and its early civilisations. Although there is plenty to do in Chania, many visitors choose to venture beyond the city to see some of the surrounding areas of natural beauty. One of the most famous of these is Samaria Gorge, a magnificent landscape, which can be traversed on foot. The 8 mile walk down the gorge descends to the shores of the Libyan Sea, where you can choose to sail to the village of Sougia before returning to Chania city.
Best Time to Fly to Chania
The Mediterranean climate of Crete delivers hot summers and mild winters, allowing visitors to enjoy the island's attractions all through the year. Temperatures rise between June and August and so do the throngs of tourists. If you prefer a cooler alternative, the months of April to October offer clear sunny days that are considerably more comfortable.
Tourism slows in the winter period when temperatures are lower so, to get the best travel deals, a vacation between December and February is a cheaper option.
Getting around Chania
Local taxis can be hired within the city. If you want to travel further afield, a regular bus services travel to other major towns and tourist spots.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Chania
USA departure airports for flights to Chania
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Chania
- New York (NYC)
- San Diego (SAN)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Boston (BOS)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Newark (EWR)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Washington (WAS)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Houston (IAH)
- Denver (DEN)
- Cleveland (CLE)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- San Antonio (SAT)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- Little Rock (LIT)
Interesting information about Chania
More useful information about Chania
- In Athens, you can explore the Acropolis, the Parthenon, and the Epidaurus amphitheater.
- A popular time to take one way flights to Greece is between June and August when the weather is best.
- When your last minute flight to Greece arrives, you'll be in the country where the Olympic Games were born.
- The beautiful and verdant island Zante or Zakynthos, on the Ionian islands, is another popular vacation destination.
- Many travelers take direct flights to Greece for a tour of Athens or on a honeymoon to Santorini.
- Crete is the largest and most popular of the Greek islands, with two international airports.
- One place worth visiting is the Peloponissos, which has a spectacular landscape of mountains, caves, and volcanoes.
- Greece enjoys long Mediterranean summers, with warm temperatures and about 11 hours of sunshine a day.