Cheap flights to Heraklion (HER)
Named after Nikos Kazantzakis, the local philosopher and writer, Heraklion International Airport is Greece’s second-busiest airport, serving around five million passengers per year. Located 5km (3 miles) east of Crete’s main city, Heraklion, the eastern end of its runway lies just a few metres from the island’s shoreline, making landings and take-offs an exciting experience for first-time visitors.
A small but busy airport, most travellers taking flights to Heraklion International will see the airport briefly as they move on to other parts of Crete. The airport will cease to exist in the near future as a brand new airport, currently being built in Kastelli Pediados, is scheduled for completion in 2015.
As Heraklion International shares its space with a military base taking photographs or videos of the exterior of the airport, particularly its airfield, is prohibited.
Queues sometimes lead out the doors when it’s busy. This can prove unpleasant when it’s hot, so keep some drinks and sun-block handy if you’re heading to Crete in summer.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Heraklion
Useful information about Heraklion
More useful information about Heraklion
- In Athens, you can explore the Acropolis, the Parthenon, and the Epidaurus amphitheater.
- A popular time to take one way flights to Greece is between June and August when the weather is best.
- When your last minute flight to Greece arrives, you'll be in the country where the Olympic Games were born.
- The beautiful and verdant island Zante or Zakynthos, on the Ionian islands, is another popular vacation destination.
- Many travelers take direct flights to Greece for a tour of Athens or on a honeymoon to Santorini.
- Crete is the largest and most popular of the Greek islands, with two international airports.
- One place worth visiting is the Peloponissos, which has a spectacular landscape of mountains, caves, and volcanoes.
- Greece enjoys long Mediterranean summers, with warm temperatures and about 11 hours of sunshine a day.