Cheap flights to Sweden
Stylish and sophisticated Sweden – it’s the Scandinavian way. From the high standard of Stockholm living to the scenic coastline and countryside, Sweden is a country built on prestige and thriving on energy. Flights to Sweden during the summer feature an enchanting glimpse of the midnight sun, while winter flights to Sweden offer outdoor-enthusiasts some of the best mountain skiing and hiking in the world. Whether you’re headed to urban-Stockholm or historical Uppsala, the trip to Sweden will be a lasting memory.
The capital city Stockholm is a mecca of opportunity for visitors booking flights to Sweden. Boasting high-tech businesses and top-rated restaurants, it’s no wonder the people of Stockholm exude class. Venture outside of Stockholm to one of the city’s 14 islands in the Baltic Sea. Thanks to its prime location, travelers booking flights to Sweden for a stay in Stockholm can board day cruises or trains to other areas of the country. Sweden is also revered for its natural beauty. Sweden’s west coast is made up of fishing villages, ancient Viking cities and a simpler way of life. Save room in your luggage for your return Sweden flight – you’ll want to bring some authentic Swedish glass work home.
Winters in Sweden are a picture of snow-covered beauty, but they are a bit on the cold side, with temperatures averaging near freezing. The summer is a much more comfortable 74 F.
Best Time to Fly to Sweden
Whether you’re waiting for the white snowdrifts of winter or looking forward to sunlight filled days and nights, there’s no bad time to book flights to Sweden.
Peak Season: Most flights to Sweden are packed during the winter holidays and summer months. Summer brings a swarm of travelers on school vacations and many outdoor tourist attractions in cities like Stockholm and Malmo are scheduled to accommodate the summer traffic.
Off-peak Season: Cheap flights to Sweden are commonly found in the swing seasons of fall and spring – before the snow caps the mountain tops and while the kids are still in school. Several of Sweden’s most notable museums and cultural attractions thrive throughout the winter months, and rates at Sweden’s best hotels are significantly cheaper than those set for summer reservations.
Getting around Sweden
Visitors have plenty of options when it comes to public transportation in Sweden. Whether you’re staying in Stockholm or booking domestic Sweden flights to other destinations, most major Swedish cities have well-maintained metro, tram and bus networks. Sweden’s rail network is an efficient, cheap way to get about the northern part of the country. For those interested in taking in the natural beauty of Sweden’s sprawling lakes, there are ferries, canal boats and vintage steamers are available.
The following chart gives approximate journey times fromStockholm
(in hours and minutes) to other major cities and towns in Sweden.
Sweden Travel Information
- Sweden’s capital city, Stockholm, is a bustling international hub that sprawls across 14 islands facing the Baltic Sea. If you’re looking to stretch your legs after your Sweden flight and before you check-in to your Stockholm hotel, you're in luck: the city is one of the best walking cities in all of Eurpoe. Most of the city’s prime attractions are within walking distance of each other, especially in the Old Town (“Gamla Stan” in Swedish) district of the city, where palaces, museums, parks and churches await you around every corner.
- Malmö, the “gateway to the Continent”, is located in southern Sweden and its main draw is its stunning modern architecture and scenic waterfront. Malmö, unlike other major northern European cities, boasts its own beach in the hustle and bustle of the downtown area. Malmö is also a convenient location when it comes to travel in and around Sweden: By booking cheap flights to Sweden via Malmö, there are numerous public transportation options at your disposal for reaching other points in Sweden efficiently and at low cost. The capital city of Denmark, Copenhagen, is connected to Malmö by way of the Öresund Bridge.
- When it comes to cuisine, cheese and shellfish tend to be the base ingredients for the most delicious traditional Swedish recipes. Gothenburg, the second largest city in Sweden located along the western coast, is quickly becoming the culinary capital of the country with a barrage of internationally renowned restaurants. Check out the Feskekôrka, also known as the “Fish Church”, in downtown Gothenburg: This bustling market is the place to be when it comes to getting a hold of the best catch of the day.
- The freezing winter that envelopes Sweden provides travelers with unique experiences that capitalize on the cold. The Ice Hotel of Jukkasjärvi is a prime example of Sweden’s winter tourism: The hotel, which is constructed entirely from snow and blocks of ice taken from the Torne River, includes a church, reception area and the famed Absolut Icebar. The hotel starts melting in April, so if you’re looking for the fanciest, most frigid experience when it comes to travel, book your cheap flight to Sweden for the first half of winter.
- If you're looking for hotels outside of the city center, try booking a Visby hotel. Other Baltic Sea hotels are available for all travel types and budgets.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Sweden
USA departure airports for flights to Sweden
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Sweden
- New York (NYC)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Portland (PDX)
- Chicago (CHI)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Tampa (TPA)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Boston (BOS)
- Houston (IAH)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- Raleigh (RDU)
- Oakland (OAK)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- Detroit (DTT)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Salt Lake City (SLC)
- Kansas City (MCI)
- Washington (WAS)
- Newark (EWR)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Cleveland (CLE)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- Miami (MIA)
- Austin (AUS)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Jacksonville (JAX)
- Orlando (MCO)
More useful information about Sweden
- Many one way flights arrive at Stockholm Arlanda Airport (STO).
- For cheap last minute flights to Sweden, plan to fly in the fall or spring.
- Direct flights to Sweden during the summer feature an enchanting glimpse of the midnight sun.