Best Time to Fly to Cancun
The best time to book a cheap vacation is during the spring months. It’s possible you’ll be sharing the beach with Spring Breakers, but it’s worth your while for the warm weather and resort-like environment of this Mexico town.
The best time to book a trip to Cancun is between February and April. Cheap flights are rarely available during this time, but travelers should book accommodations far in advance in an effort to get the best rates.
Late April and May are good times to snap up a bargain and book cheap flights to Cancun. Temperatures are in the upper 80s and Cancun gets humid, but the breezes off the Caribbean should keep the weather manageable. The weather in Cancun is hot and humid between June and November and fall marks the beginning of hurricane season. Travelers should consider purchasing travel insurance, as well, as a means of protection in the event of a hurricane.
Why you should take a flight to Cancun
Once you step off your cheap flight to Cancun, you’re in paradise. Teeny-weeny bikinis and buff beach boys fill the beaches of Cancun. Trips to Cancun are packed with Spring Break travelers ready to ditch their books for a day on the white sand beaches and a dip in the blue waters. The night scene in Cancun is so exciting, it’s barely talked about the next day. Cancun is the reason people travel to Mexico; just ask the three million people who visit here annually.
Cancun is so welcoming, even the apprehensive traveler will book a cheap flight to Cancun for vacation. English is spoken, U.S. dollars are accepted, malls are filled with dozens of duty-free shops, there are more than 350 restaurants and nightclubs, and it’s one of the easiest cities to get around. For the more tame traveler booking Cancun flights, downtown is the more “cultural region” of the city. There are Cuban-style restaurants and more locals hang out in this area (mainly because the Hotel Zone is pricey).
From snorkeling to jet-skiing, visiting ancient Maya ruins, or just lounging poolside at one the five-star beach resorts after a wild night in “the Zone,” this Mexico city has something for everyone.
Cancun’s climate appeals to the year-round traveler. Cheap airline tickets to Cancun are available during the rainy season, but travelers can still bet on a few good days of sun and surf. Flights fill up fast in the spring, but you can’t beat the beach weather in this resort town. The average temperature in Cancun is 80 degrees and there are more than 240 days of sunshine every year. Rain is rare, but late August through early October is the rainy season.
Getting around Cancun
It’s easy to walk around Cancun. And if your vacation has made you too relaxed to walk, you can always get a taxi. Be aware that prices are supposed to be set by zone. The reality is that locals pay far less than tourists, and guests at expensive hotels are always charged more. One popular way to get around the city is by bus. To get from the mainland to the beaches along Avenida Tulum you can take route 1 and 2. Route 8 buses are for Puerto Juarez/Punta Sam, where you can catch a ferry to Isla Mujeres. Pick up a route 8 bus on the east side of Avenida Tulum. They run between 6am and midnight every day. Watch out for private buses that go the same places, but charge a higher fee. For a little more adventure, you can rent a moped for around $30 each day, but be safe and wear your helmet.
Cancun Travel Information
- U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere in the main hotel zone of Cancun, but exchange rates vary widely. Also, as you venture further into Mexico, using dollars becomes more difficult. Exchange your currency for local tender and pay for everything in pesos.
- In Cancun you’ll find many familiar shops, restaurants, and services, and you don’t need to be unusually concerned about contracting tropical illnesses. However, outside Cancun, be careful with food and water.
- Be prepared to haggle, but do some price comparison first. Unless you are certain that the item is exclusive to a particular vendor, shop around and find the vendor with the best initial quote, and then haggle.
- The biggest event is Carnaval, held in February just before Lent. In keeping with Mexico's strong religious tradition, Inmaculada Concepcion is held on Isla Mujeres in December.
- For lovers of physical exercise, Cancun's International Marathon takes place just before the Christmas tourist rush. If you’re planning on visiting Cancun during the holiday season, book your Cancun flight far in advance to ensure you get the best airfare prices available.