There is no shortage of things to do when you book a flight to New York City. Considered by many to be a mecca of culture and prosperity, New York offers everything a visitor could want from Tony-award winning musicals to the best in fine dining and entertainment.
Stepping off your plane surrounds you in a hotbed for culture and couture. It’s easy to spend a fortune in New York so thankfully cheap flights to New York are easy to come by. Shop till you drop on New York’s famed Park Avenue or 5th Avenue, home of Saks Fifth Avenue department store and some of the country's premier designer shops. If you're in New York during the holiday season make sure to walk by Macy’s Herald Square and enjoy the famous store-front windows that depict a new holiday scene each year. Take a stroll through Greenwich Village where you’ll find artists’ studios and schools. The neighboring village of SoHo (South of Houston Street) is a fashionista’s dream. Boutiques line the streets offering tourists everything from one-of-a-kind jewelry and clothes to warehouse stores stocked with Manolo Blahniks and Jimmy Choo’s. For many business travelers, trips to New York also mean long hours on Wall Street. After a long night at the office, take a turn to Tribeca and enjoy some of the best restaurants New York has to offer. Academy Award winner Robert De Niro, along with Jane Rosenthal and Craig Hatkoff, founded the Tribeca Film Festival as a means to revive the economic and cultural stance of Lower Manhattan after the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. The famous film festival takes place every spring so if your flight falls during this period, make sure to keep your eyes open for Hollywood’s biggest hotshots.
Book a window seat on your flight so you’ll have a perfect view of the Statue of Liberty or the Manhattan skyline. From the air you can see the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, and many of Manhattan’s financial district buildings, including Trump Tower and the New York Stock Exchange. Flying over the Statue of Liberty is one thing, but after your plane ride to New York, hail a cab and head downtown where you can board a ferry to see Lady Liberty up close. New York is a hotbed of history and culture.
New York climate
Depending on the time of year you visit, cheap plane tickets to New York are plentiful. The more expensive time to fly to New York is during the spring and fall seasons, when temperatures hit an average of 80 degrees during the day and drop to the low 60s at night. New York can get quite humid during the summer months and the winters are cold and snowy.
New York Travel Information
- Central Park is a must visit on any stop in town. Go to the zoo, watch or play sport, go swimming or watch a performance at the open-air theatre in the summer months.
- Shopping in New York is, of course, world-renowned. Book cheap flights to New York so you have plenty of money saved for your shopping excursions. You can spend money everywhere from the biggest department stores in the world to tiny boutiques. You’ll find many street vendors in New York, but buyer beware: the goods you purchase off the street are not the real thing. You’ll pay for what you get – if it’s cheap to buy it’s cheap to wear.
- If you want to catch a show on Broadway have a look at the listings in the New York Times on Friday or Sunday to find out what’s on where or have a look online at the official Web site for Broadway, www.livebroadway.com. You can get same-day tickets for shows at discounted prices from TKTS in Times Square and the South Street Seaport.
- Greenwich Village still has a name for being the arty and bohemian district, however, its popularity has led to such an increase in rents that it is now one of the most expensive parts of Manhattan. For a taste of where the artists and students really live, step inside the cafes, craft shops and vegetarian restaurants in the recently gentrified East Village.
- For more happenings in New York City, visit www.nycgo.com