Islamabad is Pakistan's capital city, and is an underrated tourist destination. Located close to the metropolis of Rawalpindi, the Pakistani capital is a great place to relax and enjoy serene accommodation while being able to dive into the big city when you want to see the sights, indulge in some local cuisine and explore Pakistan's rich culture.
The area around the city is rich in tourist attractions. Visit the astonishing Faisal Mosque which is one of Pakistan's great modern works of art, or learn about folk culture at the Lok Virsa museum. Visit a reconstructed Mughal village at Saidpur and see how industry came to Pakistan at the Golra Railway Museum.
Another great local attraction is the ancient city of Taxila. One of Asia's great ancient centers, Taxila was visited by Alexander the Great, and the excavations are a unique window into the fascinating history of the region.
Staying in the city is not all about ruins, museums, markets and mosques. There is natural beauty to be enjoyed as well, and you can easily drive up into the Margalla Hills, which makes for a superb picnic spot. Alternatively, the Lake View Park is a stunning place for an evening stroll.
If the capital city is too sedate, Rawalpindi is 9 miles away and provides an injection of excitement to any trip. See a cricket match at Nawaz Sharif Park and shop at the incredibly cheap Raja Bazaar before enjoying a meal at Fortress Street. All of this is half an hour from Islamabad.
Best Time to Fly to Islamabad
The best time to visit Islamabad or Rawalpindi is between November and May, when the heat relents. Otherwise, walking in the Margalla Hills can be arduous and busy as a lot of hikers will be up to indulge in the scenery. The summer months can be extremely hot, although it is possible to secure cheap flights and accommodations during this period.
Getting around Islamabad
When you get into town, the city is relatively easy to navigate, as it is organized in a grid system. There are plenty of taxi firms to choose from, and those in the city have a good reputation for reliability and safety. It still pays to arrange a fare before setting off, however. Islamabad is a good place to hire a car as well, as the grid system makes driving safer than other Pakistani cities.
Be aware that the city is arranged in a "grid" pattern, with areas marked F2, F3 etc. Head to G7, G8 and G9 for the best restaurants and bazaars while F6 and F7 are full of accommodation options.
Flight deals to Islamabad
USA departure airports for flights to Islamabad
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Islamabad
- New York (NYC)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Houston (IAH)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Boston (BOS)
- Washington (WAS)
- Newark (EWR)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Raleigh (RDU)
- Miami (MIA)
- Columbus (CMH)
- Detroit (DTT)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Kansas City (MCI)
- Tampa (TPA)
- Salt Lake City (SLC)
- Sacramento (SMF)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- Cleveland (CLE)
- Omaha (OMA)
- Birmingham (BHM)
- Tulsa (TUL)
- Austin (AUS)
- Denver (DEN)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- Greensboro (GSO)
Interesting information about Islamabad
More useful information about Islamabad
- For sightseers, the Margala Hills surrounds Islamabad from two sides.
- Religious enthusiasts flying to Pakistan can set the Takht-i-Bahi as a high priority.
- Departing from the UK? browse the range of flights to Pakistan today and get the best price.
- For last minute flights to Pakistan, tourists are advised to pay special attention to travel warnings.
- The Pakistan Museum of Natural History shows the country’s development over a number of centuries.
- Visitors taking direct flights to Pakistan will find a country flanked by astonishing landscapes.
- Summer months in the mountains are pleasant and temperate while the Indus Valley can reach 100 degrees on some days.
- If you plan to stay near Sindh, fly during the cooler months between November and February.
- One way flights to Pakistan can land at Jinnah International Airport Karachi and Lahore Airport.