Cheap flights to Bruges, Belgium
If you’re longing for a trip back in time then book a flight to Bruges and transport yourself to the 13th-century. The preserved medieval city has some of the finest examples of Gothic architecture and art in Europe, drawing millions of tourists each year, making it Belgium’s most visited city. Adding to its popularity is the UNESCO World Heritage status it was awarded in 2000 and then in 2004 being recognized as the European City of Culture.
The best way to explore this picturesque city is on foot. Stroll through its quiet cobbled streets and stop into a church or two along the way. Boat rides along the canal and a guided tour of the city on a horse-drawn carriage are a must. Don't forget to stop into a chocolate store for the best in Belgian chocolate, take time out to watch the lady's make lace, and if you're really feeling adventurous, climb to the top of the Belfry Tower for some of the best views of Bruges.
Book your Bruges flight in spring or fall, when the weather’s pleasant and the majority of tourists have left the city.
Bruges generally experiences mild springs and autumns and summer usually tops out around 70 degrees F. Though the impending chill of winter leaves Bruges freezing between the months of December and March, this is the best time to book cheap flights to Bruges and visit a thriving 13th century city that caters to all travel styles.
Best Time to Fly to Bruges
Bruges is a charming destination no matter what time of year you plan to book flights to Bruges. Thanks to a packed cultural calendar, there’s no wrong time to board cheap flights to Bruges.
Peak Season: When the winter cold begins to thaw and the Easter holidays draw visitors from Belgium and Europe, cheap flights to Bruges in the middle of spring are tricky to book unless you’re able to find a flight far enough in advance. The pleasant summer conditions also draw visitors between the months of May and September, and the winter holidays are also busy times to visit Bruges.
Off-peak Season: Though winters remain mild in western Belgium, the colder temperatures tend to keep tourists away which allows for several available seats on cheap flights to Bruges. Try looking for Bruges cheap flights in the fall and early spring.
Getting around Bruges
If your legs are aching for some action after your flight to Bruges, you’re in luck: As the most popular Belgian destination for tourists, Bruges is a city easily traversed on foot. With winding waterways and narrow cobblestone streets, visitors can hop into a horse-drawn carriage or view the city from a seat on one of the canal boats.
Several transportation options are available to get you out and around Bruges: A network of busses within city limits makes sightseeing easier for those who’d rather not walk, and the train station will link you to other destinations in Belgium and Europe by rail.
Bruges Travel Information
- The Easter holidays, which take place in late March or early April, draw floods of tourists who come to this picturesque, well-preserved city to celebrate the coming spring. Find a cheap flight to Bruges and mosey through the Grote Markt to hear the 47 bells ringing from the 13th century Belfry, or to take walking a tour along the bustling Port of Bruges.
- For the best views of the city, climb to the top of the Belfry and stand inside the bell tower. You'll climb over 300 stairs to the top but don't worry, there are rest stops along the way. Travel hint: don't eat or drink alcoholic beverages before your climb. The staircase is very narrow and windy, and can cause loss of balance or exhaustion easily.
- If you’re a savvy souvenir shopper, pack an extra bag on your Bruges cheap flight – it will be hard to resist the temptation to lug home Belgium souvenirs. Christmastime is ideal for shopaholics as the city hosts several markets and crafts fares that showcase the finest in local artistry. You can find fine lace, mouthwatering Belgian chocolate and the best bottles of Belgian beer throughout the city.
- Home to a multitude of fine arts museums (Bruges is, in fact, where famed Flemish painter Jan Van Eyck is from), the capital of West Flanders offers reason enough for art enthusiasts to book cheap flights to Bruges.The Arent House is home to impressive contemporary art exhibits, while the halls of the Groeninge Museum and the Gruuthuse Museum display Flemish paintings, sculptures, furniture and other wares. Keep in mind that most museums and other popular sights are closed on Mondays.
- Want to brush up on your Bruges pop-culture before boarding your flight to Bruges? Rent “In Bruges”, the 2008 critically acclaimed film starring Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson. The dark, pensive crime drama is set almost entirely in Bruges and features some of Hollywood’s best actors.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flights to Belgium
Interesting information about Bruges
More useful information about Bruges
- Booking a last minute flight to Europe will get you there in time for Oktoberfest in Germany.
- If you are planning an extended stay, then taking a one way flight to Europe may be the best choice.
- Find student travel deals and explore Europe cheaply.
- If you’re driving, consider renting a diesel. Diesels often get better mileage than other cars.
- Some non-typical European destinations include The Netherlands, which has a rich history as a world power.
- Consider booking flights to Europe to visit friends or family while they study abroad during college.
- Trains run throughout mainland Europe and, since the Eurotunnel, also connect France to the UK.
- Hundred of airports throughout the continent serve international travelers for direct flights to Europe.
- If you are under 26 years old or a teacher, you can visit the Louvre museum in Paris for free!
- Great capital cities to visit across European countries include Athens, Dublin, London, Madrid, Paris, and Rome.
Other user searches
- Flights to Hawaii from Syracuse
- Flights to Sardinia
- Flights to Australia from Houston
- Flights to Fort Myers from New York
- Flights from Meadows Field to Campbeltown
- Flights to Colorado from Los Angeles
- Flights to Pakistan
- Flights from Bismarck to Louisville
- Cheap Portland to Shannon flights
- Puerto Rico ticket