Coimbatore is an urban city in the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu, known popularly as the 'Manchester of South India'. Surrounded by the impressive Western Ghats, it is a great tourist destination for travelers who love the picturesque views of nature at its best. Venture out into the scenic Nilgiri hills to enjoy the beautiful landscape and go trekking in the cool clime of the hills. This South Indian town is famous for its places of worship that brings visitors from all over the country. The Perur Temple is 500 years old and has fine sculptures while a visit to the temples of Anjeneyar Kovil, Marudhamalai Temple, and Eachanaari Vinayaga Temple can acquaint you with the rich temple culture of this place. The Botanical Gardens, managed by the Agricultural University, is a great place to stroll over the 300 hectares space, amidst a variety of trees and flowering plants. Children will love the VOC Park with its small zoo, aquarium and a toy train. The Government Museum displays many artifacts while science history enthusiasts would love to visit the G.D. Naidu Museum near Anna Salai that has a collection of scientific gadgets and devices. A short drive to the outskirts of Coimbatore, within 31 miles, will take you to beautiful waterfalls such as the Vaideki Falls, Sengupathi Falls and the Siruvani Waterfalls. Coimbatore is known as the town of textiles so plan to buy some textiles while visiting this industrial town. Besides it is a popular destination to buy the iconic Indian silk saris.
Best Time to Fly to Coimbatore
Coimbatore has moderate weather during the summer months from March to May when the maximum temperature goes up to 93° degrees Fahrenheit. The weather is pleasant and is the ideal time to visit Coimbatore for sightseeing.
The South-West monsoons bring heavy rains from June to August while the North-East monsoon brings rain during October and November making it difficult to travel.
Winter months, from December to January, are mild with the maximum temperature of 89 degrees Fahrenheit and minimum temperature of 66 degrees Fahrenheit.
Getting around Coimbatore
City buses may be the least expensive mode of transport but new travelers may find it a challenging experience. In any case if you are not sure of the routes it is better to ask before you board the bus and the locals are extremely helpful. Auto-rickshaws are also available aplenty but you may have to fix the price before getting into one. However, the most convenient option would be to rent cars or cabs. Rental cars can also be used for excursions to the nearby tourist attractions of Ooty, Coonoor and Kotagiri.
Flight deals to Coimbatore
USA departure airports for flights to Coimbatore
Useful information about Coimbatore
More useful information about Coimbatore
- While there, see the wild life in its natural habitat at Kaziranga National Park.
- Take a last minute flight to see the Sun Temple of Konark which was constructed in the 13th century.
- Visitors to India most frequently fly into Indira Ghandi Airport in Delhi.
- Book direct flights to India to visit the Taj Mahal or walk the picturesque beaches in Goa.
- Generally, the best time to take a one way flight to India is January through September.
- Instead of Bombay, India's citizens prefer their capital city to be referred to as Mumbai.
- Chess was invented in India in the 6th century, during the Gupta Empire.
- Delhi, India’s capital, has thousands of years of history in its buildings and streets.
- India is bordered by the Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal, and Indian Ocean.