Situated in the foothills of one of the country's most beautiful mountains, Bansko is a charming and historic town with the stunning alpine backdrop formed by the Pirin Mountains. A climatic mountain resort, Bansko is known as an alpine skiing, hiking and climbing center, but it combines its natural beauty and outdoor opportunities with the atmosphere of an ancient Bulgarian town from the 10th century, and boasts a wealth of culture and history, as well as traditional taverna-style cuisine and colorful folklore. The traditional stone and wooden buildings are an integral part of its charm and character and many relics and monuments survive from its past. The alpine character of the Pirin Mountains create excellent skiing conditions for all types of skiers and experts can enjoy some of the country's best downhill skiing at the nearby resort of Shiligarnika.
Bansko Travel Information
- Bansko is a recently opened ski resort with the best snow record in Bulgaria. This means the ski season continues even until May.
- In August Bansko holds an international Jazz festival and on alternate years a singing festival. In mid-May the local traditions are celebrated. These all offer opportunities to drink the excellent wine. Country wine is good value and uses only two varieties of grape which must be stated on the label, table wine is cheaper and made from any number of grapes. Damiantza and Vini Sliven are two of the wines with a high reputation.
- Eat out in Motikata which is famous throughout the region for its barbecued meats. In the summer you sit in a large garden with stunning views of the mountains.
Flights to Bulgaria
More useful information about Bansko
- Booking a last minute flight to Europe will get you there in time for Oktoberfest in Germany.
- If you are planning an extended stay, then taking a one way flight to Europe may be the best choice.
- Find student travel deals and explore Europe cheaply.
- If you’re driving, consider renting a diesel. Diesels often get better mileage than other cars.
- Some non-typical European destinations include The Netherlands, which has a rich history as a world power.
- Consider booking flights to Europe to visit friends or family while they study abroad during college.
- Trains run throughout mainland Europe and, since the Eurotunnel, also connect France to the UK.
- Hundred of airports throughout the continent serve international travelers for direct flights to Europe.
- If you are under 26 years old or a teacher, you can visit the Louvre museum in Paris for free!
- Great capital cities to visit across European countries include Athens, Dublin, London, Madrid, Paris, and Rome.