Cheap flights to Palanga (PLQ)
When is the best time to fly to Palanga?
Palanga has cool but humid continental climate, where average temperatures reach around 16 C in July, with peaks coming in the high 20s C. Accordingly, beach holidays are at their most popular between May and August, making this the busiest time of year. Flight prices reflect this trend, with the cheapest deals coming in the off-season of September to March.
Indeed, there is plenty going on outside the summer months. February sees the town's fishing heritage come to the fore with the annual Smelt Festival. Events including angling competitions, dancing and singing, as well as lots of opportunities to eat the best of local cuisine. Another major event is the Palanga Market Celebration in October. Highlights are many, but the festival is famous for its imaginative sports of turkey holding, sprouts juggling and running holding a sack of potatoes. Alternatively, visit from the last week of November until the last week of December to enjoy all the sounds of the advent concert cycle.
Not many people associate Lithuania with beach holidays, but in the case of Palanga, prepare to be surprised. An attractive city fronted by a bustling pier and over 11 miles (17.5 km) of beaches, the city is one of the Baltic Sea’s most popular warm weather destinations. Naturally, it is the summer months of May to August that see the greatest number of visitors, with the city’s waterfront attracting more tourists from across Lithuania than any other location in the country.
Away from the sun, sea and sand, Palanga is known for a rich cultural tapestry reaching back 5000 years. Be sure to visit Tiškevičiai Palace, a stunning Neo-Renaissance building surrounded by a park with ponds, fountains, and collections of rare plants. The palace was originally the stately home of the Tyszkiewicz family, but since 1963 the palace has housed the collection of the Palanga Amber Museum, an institution that celebrates the city’s important role as a market along the ancient Amber Road. While you're out and about, make the trek to the small resort town of Šventoji, about 7 miles (11 km) north of Palanga. Not only will you get to enjoy another charming coastal settlement, but also dive into the mists of time by learning more about the town's archaeological discoveries dating back to 3000BC.
Elsewhere, take a walk along J. Basanavičius Street, arguably the city’s focal point. Running between Vytauto Street and the pier, J. Basanavičius Street hosts most of the town's bars, restaurants and nightclubs, as well as a healthy population of funfairs and souvenir shops.
Getting around Palanga
Palanga is served by a good public transport network that stops at the majority of tourist destinations. However, to fully enjoy the waterfront experience, it is recommended that visitors go on foot.
Getting from the Airport to the City
A bus service operates between Palanga International Airport (PLQ) and the city during operating hours. Private hire taxis and car rental is also available.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Palanga
USA departure airports for flights to Palanga
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Palanga
- Denver (DEN)
This is useful information about Palanga
More useful information about Palanga
- Booking a last minute flight to Europe will get you there in time for Oktoberfest in Germany.
- If you are planning an extended stay, then taking a one way flight to Europe may be the best choice.
- Find student travel deals and explore Europe cheaply.
- If you’re driving, consider renting a diesel. Diesels often get better mileage than other cars.
- Some non-typical European destinations include The Netherlands, which has a rich history as a world power.
- Consider booking flights to Europe to visit friends or family while they study abroad during college.
- Trains run throughout mainland Europe and, since the Eurotunnel, also connect France to the UK.
- Hundred of airports throughout the continent serve international travelers for direct flights to Europe.
- If you are under 26 years old or a teacher, you can visit the Louvre museum in Paris for free!
- Great capital cities to visit across European countries include Athens, Dublin, London, Madrid, Paris, and Rome.