Cheap flights to Inverness, Scotland
The most northerly city in the U.K. and often regarded as the capital of the Highlands, Inverness is steeped in history and surrounded by some of the most astonishing natural beauty in Scotland. The region’s picturesque glens and rugged mountains are sure to appeal to hikers and lovers of the outdoors. Skiing opportunities abound at places like the Nevis Range and Glenshee resorts.
Inverness is located on the banks of the River Ness near the famous Loch Ness, and locals have long used the area’s clear waters for traditional industries such as distilling (whiskey connoisseurs, take note!). A center of Scottish heritage, the city also hosts the annual Highland Games and is an ideal base for those wishing to tour sites related to the clans that once called the area home.
The city typically experiences warm weather from June through August, with long days and temperatures reaching a high of almost 86 F. Inverness sometimes plays host to some of the coldest weather of any U.K. destination, with average temperatures around 30 F from December to February.
Best Time to Fly to Inverness
Tourism in Inverness peaks during the months of July, August and September, as this is when weather is likely to be warmest and driest. The destination’s popularity is reflected in travel and accommodations prices and availability.
December to February, when Inverness is most likely to experience its coldest weather, constitute the city’s quietest period in terms of tourism.
April, May and October are good times to visit outside the height of peak season. The weather may still be favorable, but the prices will not be as high. Travel discounts are typically available during these times.
Getting around Inverness
Most of the main tourist sites within the city of Inverness are within walking distance. However, bus services are also available within city limits and to other nearby locations. Rail connections also exist between Inverness and other towns such as Tain and Nairn.
Inverness Travel Information
- Famous Loch Ness is only about 23 miles from Inverness and features Urquhart Castle, one of the largest in Scotland, along its rocky shore. The loch itself, an expansive freshwater lake, is one of the most iconic and beautiful natural attractions in Scotland.
- The Inverness Highland Games should not be missed. This annual event takes place in June and has been held in Inverness since 1821; it includes track and field events, the caber toss, highland dance and piping.
- The Inverness Museum and Art Gallery has an expansive range of materials in its collections, encompassing natural history, archaeology, local history and art. Opened in 1826, it is Inverness’s first museum and is located in the city’s historic center.
- Culloden Battlefield, the site of a famous confrontation in the 18th century Jacobite Rising, has been restored to resemble its former condition and now has its own visitors’ center with an interactive exhibition.
- The Dalmore Distillery in nearby Alness offers tours for those interested in learning about the inner workings and history of a long-established Highland whiskey company. Established in 1839 on the banks of the Cromarty Firth, the distillery contains some of the world’s oldest whiskey stocks in its warehouses.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Inverness
USA departure airports for flights to Inverness
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Inverness
- New York (NYC)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- Boston (BOS)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- Tampa (TPA)
- Providence (PVD)
- Denver (DEN)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- Portland (PDX)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Norfolk (ORF)
- Washington (WAS)
- Nashville (BNA)
- Tulsa (TUL)
- Detroit (DTT)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Houston (IAH)
Interesting information about Inverness
More useful information about Inverness
- Go to where golf was invented; there are plenty direct flights into Scotland.
- The Scotch may be so good, you'll only need a one way flight to Scotland.
- Grab your kilt and book a last minute flight to Scotland.