Cheap flights to Smithers, Canada
When is the best time to fly to Smithers?
Smithers is a year-round town, offering skiing in the cold season, and festivals, golfing and outdoor excursions in the warmer months. Ski season opens in early December, and closes in mid-April. The slopes range from beginner to expert, and offer consistent snow conditions with champagne powder guaranteed throughout the season. Smithers is also famed for its short lift lines and affordable rates, as well as some prime off-piste tracks, making it one of the best alternatives to the country’s more popular destinations.
Alternatively, visit between June and August when the average temperatures range from 66F to 72F, and the outdoors are in prime condition for exploring. The mountains are packed with striking vistas, as well as a range of animals including mountain goats, black and grizzly bears, moose and marmots. Back in town, be sure to visit Bulkley Valley Farmers' Market, held every Saturday from early May to late September.
Despite being home to only 5,000 people, the charming mountain town of Smithers is a popular basecamp for skiing, fishing and all manner of outdoor excursion. The acclaimed ski resort of Hudson Bay Mountain lies 15 miles to the southwest, while Smithers and the Bulkley Valley are threaded with well-stocked fishing rivers and lakes. Riverside Park on the Bulkley River and Tyhee Lake are both located less than a 10-minute drive from the downtown area, and the breathtaking hiking trails on Babine Mountains not far to the northeast.
The town itself has many attractions to catch the eye, including the Bavarian-style buildings that line the main street. Several independent coffeehouses and bakeries offer a casual retreat from the exertions of mountain life, while the town’s second-hand bookstore contains many literary treasures waiting to be explored. History is also very much a feature of the Smithers experience, with abandoned pioneer buildings still standing and open for exploration. Last, but far from least, be sure to visit local First Nations artists and crafters to learn more about the culture that first called this area home.
Getting around Smithers
Smithers is easily navigable on foot, but the city also offers public transport in the form of two, 24-seat buses. Skiers are also catered for as Hudson Bay Mountain is served by its own bus line, Dawn 2 Dusk Mountain Bus. Services run between the resort and the town throughout the day, with different pick-up and drop-off locations included. Be aware, though, that services only run on weekends, holidays and non-instructional days, so do not rely exclusively on this mode of transport.
The city is served by Smithers Airport (YYD), with flights to Vancouver operating throughout the year. Car rental is available at the airport, as are a number of private hire taxi firms.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flights to British Columbia
This is useful information about Smithers
More useful information about Smithers
- The eastern provinces of Canada include Quebec, Ontario, and Nova Scotia.
- When your one way flight to Canada arrives, you’ll be in North America’s largest country by area.
- Western Canada consists of British Columbia and three provinces: Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.
- Victoria Day to Labor Day (Late May to Early September) is the best time for outdoor activities.
- For winter sports enthusiasts, November to March offers the best chance of good snow in Canada.
- Possibly the most British of the Canadian cities, Ottawa is a charming cosmopolitan city.
- Some direct flights to Canada land at Lester B Pearson International Airport or Trudeau Airport.
- For last minute flights to Canada, keep in mind that many cities are transformed into winter wonderlands.
Other user searches
- Flights to Santo Domingo from Fort Lauderdale
- Denver from Los Angeles flights
- Poland flights
- Medford to Los Angeles
- Flights from Grand Rapids to Santiago
- Cheap flights from Fairbanks to Peru
- Flights to Tokyo from Manchester
- Cheap Grand Rapids to Brisbane flights
- Cheap New York to New Jersey flights