The capital of Namibia may not be an obvious tourist destination, but it still has its attractions for the visitor willing to try something new. It's the center of the country's substantial safari industry, while the city itself displays a blend of British, German and African influences.
Most of Windhoek is not particularly picturesque, but those who persevere will find pockets of interest. The National Gallery is worth seeing. Christ Church is an attractive building — now over 100 years old — which is strikingly constructed from the local quartz sandstone. It's on the memorably named Fidel Castro Street.
Best Time to Fly to Windhoek
The hottest time to visit is between October and February but December sees the most rainfall. Cooler months, which also tend to be dry, are between May and August.
Getting around Windhoek
Windhoek does not have a bus network, but there are plenty of shared taxis. These operate in a similar manner to South African "combi" taxis: you hail a taxi by flagging it down in the street. Their routes are flexible, so don't be worried if you turn down an unfamiliar road.
Flight deals to Windhoek
USA departure airports for flights to Windhoek
Useful information about Windhoek
More useful information about Windhoek
- South Africa retains strong influences from Dutch and British culture.
- Because you need a return or onward ticket to enter the country, one way flights to Africa are not ideal.
- Direct flights from American cities to African cities are rare.
- The entire continent of Africa is generally warm year-round, with North Africa being the hottest.
- Africa’s history is as vast and rich as the continent itself.
- For a breath taking beach experience, visit the Tanzanian island of Zanzibar.
- Booking a last minute flight to Africa is not advisable, since much preparation is usually needed.
- Kenya offers an extraordinary Safari experience.