Best Time to Fly to Indianapolis
Peak season in Indianapolis depends on your travel interests. If you're flying to Indianapolis for sports-centric entertainment, weather isn't as big of a concern as getting tickets to the game. If your Indianapolis travel plans happen over Indy 500 weekend, book your Indianapolis flights and hotels in advance. This is undoubtedly the busiest time in the city and accommodations fill up fast.
June, July and August are hot and humid in Indianapolis, but if you can handle the heat you're bound to find plenty of cheap flights to Indianapolis and discounted hotel accommodations. Keep in mind the city is busy during this time because of school vacations and family trips.
Home of the Hoosiers, the Colts, and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, there is no shortage of activities for Indianapolis visitors. Hop a flight to Indianapolis during basketball season and you’re likely to catch the Indiana University basketball team performing their best on the court. Made even more famous by the 1986 Gene Hackman movie of the same name, the Hoosiers are legendary in Indianapolis and continue to push their way through to the championships. Even non-basketball fans will get caught up in the Hoosier-hype. If your Indianapolis flight happens during football season, head to the RCA Dome and watch the Superbowl XLI champs in action. Need something a little more fast-paced? Indianapolis welcomes millions of travelers every May to witness one of the biggest spectator sports of the year – the Indy 500. Join the other Indianapolis travelers for a weekend of speed at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
If you’re not a sports fan, there’s still plenty to do and see in Indianapolis. The city is divided into six cultural districts that extend from downtown. Chic boutiques, sidewalk cafes, live music bars and an over-abundance of eclectic restaurants line the city districts. During the summer months, the open-air Canal Walk state park features live concerts and festivals appealing to all personalities.
Winters are cold, particularly January, and the city gets a few significant snowfalls each year. Summers are warm but can be very humid. Late spring (April and May) and fall (September, October into November) are the best times weather-wise to book flights to Indianapolis.
Getting around Indianapolis
Driving is the best way to get around the city and you’ll be able to explore the Midwest countryside. Parking is ample at hotels and Indianapolis’ top sightseeing destinations.
Flight deals to Indianapolis
USA departure airports for flights to Indianapolis
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Indianapolis
- Atlanta (ATL)
- New York (NYC)
- Houston (IAH)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Tampa (TPA)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Denver (DEN)
- Seattle (SEA)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Boston (BOS)
- Miami (MIA)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Newark (EWR)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Washington (WAS)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Sacramento (SMF)
- Richmond (RIC)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- Jacksonville (JAX)
- Austin (AUS)
- Raleigh (RDU)
- Salt Lake City (SLC)
- Ontario (ONT)
- San Antonio (SAT)
Useful information about Indianapolis
More useful information about Indianapolis
- Book a last minute flight to Indianapolis for Indy 500 weekend, you may have a hard time finding a hotel room.
- Take a one way flight to Indianapolis and land at the Indianapolis International Airport (IND).
- Now held during the last week of September, the Indy Jazz Fest is a popular music event.
- If you're lucky, you may be able to see a Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium.
- The city is divided into six cultural districts that extend from the center of town.
- The name Indianapolis was invented by Jeremiah Sullivan by joining Indiana with polis, the Greek word for city.
- For things to do, check out the Carter Toy Museum and Cole Clothing Museum.
- Late spring and autumn are the best times weather-wise to book direct flights to Indianapolis.
Other user searches
- Evansville from New York flights
- Iliamna to Kasos
- Southwest Airlines cheap flights
- Punta Cana flights
- Cheap flights to Saudi Arabia from Minneapolis
- Cheap flights to Curacao from San Antonio
- Flights to Orenburg from Albert J. Ellis
- Cheap flights Chicago
- Flights from Bellingham to Mykonos
- Miami to Israel