Palm trees, snorkeling, coral reefs and Jimmy Buffet – just a few of the favorite things synonymous with the Florida Keys. An archipelago of more than 1,000 islands, the Florida Keys is the prime resort destination spot for Americans who want a little bit of the Caribbean without having to leave the country. The six main islands welcome travelers all year-round who book flights to the Florida Keys for a warm-weather getaway or a bit of relaxation from the hectic nature of everyday life.
First stop: Key Largo. Take a dive in the crystal-blue waters or choose a guided tour to explore some of the century-old wreckages.
Just south of Key Largo is the island of Islamorada. Most travelers will opt to sail to Islamorada, as opposed to fly to this Florida Key island, because of its vast fishing opportunities.
Marathon Key is the middle-most island known to many travelers as the “resort key.” Further south are the Lower Florida Keys, where “laid back” takes on an entirely other meaning.
Boating is the number one attraction at Big Pine Key, while snorkeling and diving take the lead in Looe Key.
Likely the most popular island is Key West, the last of the big islands and the most visited by travelers booking cheap Florida Keys flights for a drink in Margaritaville.
Parrotheads flock to Key West, the home of Jimmy Buffet, to walk the pristine beaches before heading to beachside pubs and lounges, where the singer is known to partake in a few impromptu performances.
Whether you’re in the mood for world-class fishing or a cheeseburger in paradise, hop a flight to the Florida Keys and escape everyday life, if only for a weekend.
Florida Keys climate
The Florida Keys is a year-round travel destination known for its warmth, sunshine and near-perfect beach weather. Travel to the Florida Keys is most popular November to February when the Northerners are looking to escape the frigid winter cold. But this is also when flights to the Florida Keys are most expensive.For cheap flights to the Florida Keys, book your Florida Keys travel during June-August and September-November. At the peak of summer, the average high is 89º F. The weather is still warm and pleasant but the threat of hurricanes during this time is present.
Best Time to Fly to Florida Keys
November to February and March-May are the busiest times in the Florida Keys. The weather is warm, the sun is shining and the beaches are packed with people looking to thaw-out from the cold winter air. The Florida Keys is also a big Spring Break destination so be prepared for crowded Florida Keys flights and hotels if you're traveling during this time.
Smart Floridians know to head to the Florida Keys June-August to "cool off" from the hot and humid air inland. But this is also hurricane season (August - November) so the weather can change in a second. However, it's likely you'll find cheap flights to the Florida Keys and discounted hotels and resorts during these months, when the peak tourist season has ended.
Getting around Florida Keys
The best way to explore the Florida Keys is by car, but the Overseas Highway can be extremely busy, particularly at weekends and over holiday periods, so patience is required. This is the only main road in and out of the Keys. In Key West, parking can be difficult; park-and-ride shuttles and taxis are available and recommended.
Buses are available as well. The Dade-Monroe Express bus runs from Key Marathon to Florida City, offering round trips on the hour and stopping on demand. Greyhound runs a Keys shuttle bus several times a day between Miami International Airport, stopping at all major points along the Keys.
Cycling is a pleasant way to explore the individual Keys, and scooter rentals are also popular.
Florida Keys Travel Information
- Key Largo has some of the best diving opportunities in the world. Take a day and explore the underwater reefs and wrecks. It is also home to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, a spectacular underwater park. If you don't dive or scuba, and prefer to stay above water, book a tour on a glass-bottom boat so you can the underwater world without getting your feet wet.
- Duval Street in Key West is the artist's district. Take a stroll through many of the galleries and boutiques. After a day of shopping, head to Mallory Square (end of Duval) for the "Sunset Fest." Everyone gathers here nightly to watch the gorgeous Keys sunset while musicians and street acts perform in the background.
- If you're staying on the island of Islamorada, you'll want to bring your fishing gear. Islamorada has more fishing vessels per square mile than any other vacation destination in the world.
- Take a trip to Big Pine Key and be on the lookout for the island's native Key Deer. These rare white tail deer roam Big Pine Key because of the island's lush forestland and natural landscape.
USA departure airports for flights to Florida Keys
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Florida Keys
- Orlando (MCO)
- New York (NYC)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Houston (IAH)
- New Orleans (MSY)
- Nashville (BNA)
- Boston (BOS)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Jacksonville (JAX)
- Tampa (TPA)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Denver (DEN)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Milwaukee (MKE)
- Detroit (DTT)
- Knoxville (TYS)
- Newark (EWR)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Raleigh (RDU)
- Charleston (CHS)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Pittsburgh (PIT)
- Columbus (CMH)
- Norfolk (ORF)
- Colorado Springs (COS)
- Pensacola (PNS)
- Greenville (GSP)
- Memphis (MEM)
Flights to Florida
More useful information about Florida Keys
- Florida is great for many outdoor activities including kayaking. Take a trip down the Peace River.
- With nine major airports to choose from, direct flights to Florida are easy to find.
- Fly to the Sunshine State for escape the bleakness of winter.
- Since Florida has over 1,000 courses to choose from and is a popular destination for golf vacations.
- Many Floridian metro areas offer upscale shopping and provide access to major cruise lines.
- Get a last minute flight to Florida to catch spring training baseball games.
- Beyond the theme parks, Florida has many different family vacation options with many resorts catering to children.
- For a beach vacation, Florida has many options with 1200 miles of coastline.
- During the off season (typically summer), you can get the most inexpensive one way flight to Florida.
- If the beach isn't your thing, take a hike around the state's largest lake: Lake Okeechobee.
Other user searches
- Flights Atlanta from San Francisco
- Cheap flights to Maine
- Athens to Vienna flights
- Kansas City to Istanbul
- Cheap flights England
- Flights to Tennessee from Des Moines International
- Cheap flights to Tauranga from New Castle Airport
- Cheap flights to Prague from New York
- Binghamton to Hargeisa
- Las Vegas ticket