The richly historic city of St Augustine in the Sunshine State of Florida is defined by an easy going charm and tranquil beauty which marks it out against so many other cities in the US. Although officially classed as a city, St Augustine has more of a small town feel, enhanced no doubt by the cobbled streets and quaint cafes which typify the area. Located just over 100 miles from the theme park capital of the world, Orlando, this delightful city could not be more different than its bigger, brasher neighbour.
First settled by the Spanish in 1565, St Augustine is the oldest, continuously occupied European settlement in the USA. Spanish influence can still be seen throughout the city, the most striking example being the imposing fort of Castillo de San Marcos. Built in the 17th century to defend Spanish interests, this remarkable monument offers some truly stunning views from the upper battlements. Amongst the many fascinating museums in the city, one of the finest is the Colonial Spanish Quarter Museum. Visitors to this wonderful attraction are swept back to a time long since gone, as costumed guides tell the story of the city's rich historic legacy.
Many people come to St Augustine to simply relax and soak in the tranquillity. The city's peaceful cobbled streets are lined with quaint pavement cafes and unique gift shops, with many of the staff who work in them choosing to wear period costume. Often, the only sound breaking the tranquil silence is the sound of hooves as delightful horse-drawn carriages gently wind their way around the city.
Best Time to Fly to St Augustine
March to May and September to November are the best periods to visit the city. It tends to be a little less crowded during these times while the weather remains very pleasant. The holiday season from November to January sees the city celebrate the Night of Lights, as the streets are adorned with more than a million dazzling white lights.
The month of February and the early part of March tend to be the cheapest times to visit the city, as the Night of Lights festival has ended and Easter is yet to begin.
Getting around St Augustine
Much of the historic old town can easily be explored on foot. However, for a pleasant, relaxing journey around the city, many people choose to take a horse-drawn carriage or catch one of the historic trolley buses. More modern transport options are provided by the Sunshine Bus Company, which operates up until early evening and charges very reasonable fares.
USA departure airports for flights to St Augustine
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to St Augustine
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Chicago (CHI)
- New York (NYC)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- Newark (EWR)
- St Louis (STL)
- Miami (MIA)
- Pittsburgh (PIT)
- Tampa (TPA)
- Columbus (CMH)
- Detroit (DTT)
- Cincinnati (CVG)
- Boston (BOS)
- Denver (DEN)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- Nashville (BNA)
- Fort Myers (RSW)
- Houston (IAH)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Knoxville (TYS)
- Indianapolis (IND)
- Richmond (RIC)
- Louisville (SDF)
- Cleveland (CLE)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- New Orleans (MSY)
- Birmingham (BHM)
Flights to Florida
Interesting information about St Augustine
More useful information about St Augustine
- Florida is great for many outdoor activities including kayaking. Take a trip down the Peace River.
- With nine major airports to choose from, direct flights to Florida are easy to find.
- Fly to the Sunshine State for escape the bleakness of winter.
- Since Florida has over 1,000 courses to choose from and is a popular destination for golf vacations.
- Many Floridian metro areas offer upscale shopping and provide access to major cruise lines.
- Get a last minute flight to Florida to catch spring training baseball games.
- Beyond the theme parks, Florida has many different family vacation options with many resorts catering to children.
- For a beach vacation, Florida has many options with 1200 miles of coastline.
- During the off season (typically summer), you can get the most inexpensive one way flight to Florida.
- If the beach isn't your thing, take a hike around the state's largest lake: Lake Okeechobee.
Other user searches
- Dallas to Belize City
- Cheap flights from Los Angeles to Germany
- United Airlines flights
- Birmingham to San Juan
- USA cheap flights
- Flights from Boston to Rio de Janeiro
- Flights from San Diego to Montreal
- Flights Phoenix to Tianjin Binhai
- Flights to Venezuela from Richmond
- Cheap flights to Denver International