Cheap flights to Kamuzu International (LLW)
When is the best time to fly to Lilongwe?
The city has a humid subtropical climate which gravitates towards a subtropical highland climate. That means that winters are mild and summers are very warm and pleasant. Since the city is at a high altitude, temperatures are lower than would be the norm in a subtropical climate. The hot season from mid-August to November can be very hot and travellers are advised to protect themselves against UV burns from the sun. May and November are the most pleasant times to take flights to Lilongwe, with temperatures that are not too hot or too cold.
The off-peak season is the least expensive time in the city and this is the ideal period to visit. This time of the year will offer cheap flights to Lilongwe and the lowest rates on accommodation and activities. From December to March is the short, wet season and a long dry season which lasts for the remainder of the year. June and July are considerably cooler than the rest of the year. Many tourists prefer to avoid booking flights to Lilongwe during the very rainy months, opting instead for the drier periods in the city. Since malaria occurs in the area, the wet season is often much quieter than the rest of the year as is the hot season.
Named for the Lilongwe River, this interesting city is the second largest city in Malawi and also its capital. The city is found in central Malawi near the Zambian and Mozambique border. For lovers of nature and wildlife, the area abounds with natural areas and of course Lake Malawi. The Lilongwe Wildlife Centre takes in orphaned wildlife from all over Malawi and is a great opportunity to meet their resident lion and leopard as well as a variety of other species. Also in the Old Town is the Lilongwe Market where you will find a good selection of food and drink as well as soak up the culture and socialise with locals. The First World War memorial clock tower represents the colonial history of the area and is a popular landmark in Lilongwe.
The Nature Sanctuary can be found between the Old Town and the city centre and is an indigenous woodland reserve with informative walks, birds and mammals to enjoy. The city is very green and grassland areas are to be found and enjoyed quite close to the city centre. You can find international and African cuisine at a number of restaurants in the city. At the Kumbali Cultural Village you can enjoy traditional African dancing, drumming and authentic Malawian dishes.
Getting around Lilongwe
As the city of Lilongwe is very spread out, getting around by foot can prove difficult, therefore taxis and mini buses are advised.
Getting from the Airport to the City
Flights to Lilongwe will arrive at Kamazu International Airport (LLW). Getting to the city is reasonably easy and you can choose from a number of public transportation options namely rental car, bus and rail. The city is located about 12 miles (20 km) from the airport.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Kamuzu International
USA departure airports for flights to Kamuzu International
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Kamuzu International
- Atlanta (ATL)
Interesting information about Kamuzu International
More useful information about Kamuzu International
- South Africa retains strong influences from Dutch and British culture.
- Because you need a return or onward ticket to enter the country, one way flights to Africa are not ideal.
- Direct flights from American cities to African cities are rare.
- The entire continent of Africa is generally warm year-round, with North Africa being the hottest.
- Africa’s history is as vast and rich as the continent itself.
- For a breath taking beach experience, visit the Tanzanian island of Zanzibar.
- Booking a last minute flight to Africa is not advisable, since much preparation is usually needed.
- Kenya offers an extraordinary Safari experience.
Other user searches
- Cheap flights to Virgin Islands, U.S.
- Flights to Newport News/Williamsburg International from Chicago
- St Cloud to Petersburg cheap flights
- Panama City to Madrid
- Cheap flights from New York to San Juan
- Flights to London
- Cheapest flights to Cancun
- Cheap flights to Chico
- Flights to Edinburgh
- Cheap Columbus to Las Vegas flights