Nassau, located on the island of New Providence, is the capital of the Bahamas and home to 70 percent of the islands’ population. Nassau is a lively port city that’s frequented by cruise lines throughout the year, and it’s often the first port of call for several cruises departing from Florida due to the island’s close proximity to the southeastern tip of the United States.
If you’re looking for an island getaway but are stuck trying to decide where to go, look no further than Nassau: You don’t want to miss the festivities that take place in this Caribbean capital throughout the year. If you visit Nassau after the winter holidays, take part in Junkanoo – the rowdy parades filled with boisterous music and colorful costumes that hit the streets after the Christmas holidays.
Whether you’re snagging a seat on a flight to Nassau or sailing in style on the high seas, a bustling Caribbean city awaits you complete with exceptional beaches, vibrant nightlife and plenty of galleries, museums and historical points of interest to keep you busy on and off the sand.
Regardless of when you visit Nassau, you’ll find yourself in a steamy tropical paradise. The temperature in Nassau doesn’t vary much throughout the year; highs top out around an average of 90 degrees during the summertime (May to September). Hurricane season is something to consider when you’re booking your flights – though they tend to be cheaper from June to November, the fierce rains wreak havoc on the islands and cause severe life-threatening damage to beaches and property.
Best Time to Fly to Nassau
Nassau is great for a relaxing retreat spent lounging on the island’s sandy stretches or a chance to party all night at one of the island’s famed locales.
Nassau is home to the biggest Junkanoo celebration come Boxing Day, so flights to Nassau fill up fast for the weeks surrounding Christmas and New Year’s Day. They are especially full from December to February, when visitors from Europe and North America flock to the island to escape the snow and bask in the sun.
Hurricane season lasts from the early June through the end of November, and this is the best time to find cheap flights to Nassau due to the lull in tourism. Nassau hosts a variety of performances and events during this time to keep visitors coming throughout the year, and the Bahamas National Trust Wine & Art Festival draws quite a crowd in late October.
Getting around Nassau
Central Nassau can be managed on foot or aboard one of the popular and affordable local buses, calledjitneys
. The most popular jitney is the one that will take you to Cable Beach. You can board the bus daily for a short trip to arrive at the best resorts, beaches and golf courses.
Nassau Travel Information
- Those lucky enough to snag a seat on a flight to Nassau during the winter holidays, especially over Boxing Day (Dec. 26) and New Year’s, are in for a treat: Junkanoo, a time-honored Caribbean holiday tradition, is a spectacular parade with music and flashy costumes. You’ll be listening to the cacophony of cowbells, brass bands and conch shells on Bay Street for hours during Junkanoo. If rowdy festivals don’t really suit your fancy, consider booking your flight for alternate dates.
- Looking for something to watch while packing for your flight? Nassau plays an important part in several of the James Bond films, acting as both a setting and a filming location. “Thunderball”, starring Sean Connery as 007, is the Bond blockbuster that spotlights Nassau, while “Casino Royale”, starring Daniel Craig, also features Nassau.
- What better way to chill out after a flight than kicking it on the beach alongside azure waters of the Caribbean Sea? The 17 beautiful beaches dotting Nassau’s coastline are each unique and immaculately maintained. Endless opportunities await you for water sports, snorkeling, swimming and sunbathing. Popular favorites include Cable Beach, which is the longest stretch of sand on the island at 4 miles long, and Rock Point Beach, where scenes from “Thunderball” were filmed.
- The Atlantis Resort, located on Nassau’s Paradise Island, is famous for its luxurious accommodations and The Dig, the world’s largest open-air marine habitat home to stingrays, dolphins, sharks and hundreds of other swimming species. The Atlantis has been prominently featured in several television shows and feature films, and several popular music acts from the United States, including N*Sync and the Jonas Brothers, have performed or are scheduled to perform at the exclusive resort.
- If you’re hoping to explore the surrounding islands, take advantage of the numerous inter-island ferries servicing the Bahamian archipelago and spend the day touring Harbor Island. There are plenty of island tour packages available that include boat travel as well as an introductory tour of Harbor Island.
- The world suffers from a bad case of pirate fever courtesy the explosive popularity of Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise. The Pirates of Nassau Museum brilliantly chronicles Nassau’s history as the base of operations for the real pirates of the Caribbean. Practice your pirate lingo and your best Captain Jack Sparrow impersonation, and head to the museum for a fun and funky day off the beach.
Flight deals to Nassau
USA departure airports for flights to Nassau
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Nassau
- New York (NYC)
- Miami (MIA)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Houston (IAH)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Tampa (TPA)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Newark (EWR)
- Washington (WAS)
- Boston (BOS)
- Jacksonville (JAX)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- St Louis (STL)
- Fort Myers (RSW)
- Columbus (CMH)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- San Diego (SAN)
- New Orleans (MSY)
- Key West (EYW)
- Nashville (BNA)
- Indianapolis (IND)
- West Palm Beach (PBI)
- Detroit (DTT)
- Cincinnati (CVG)
Useful information about Nassau
More useful information about Nassau
- Nassau, located on the island of New Providence, is the capital of the Bahamas.
- After your one way flight to Nassau arrives, take a taxi from the airport.
- Hurricane season lasts from the beginning of spring through the end of autumn.
- James Bond movies have been filmed in Nassau such as "Thunderball" and “Casino Royale”.
- If your direct flight to Nassau is planned after the winter holidays, take part in Junkano.
- Last minute flights to Nassau will allow you to see the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island.
- Once you arrive, you'll find a bustling Caribbean city awaits you complete with exceptional beaches and nightlife.
- Each unique and immaculately maintained, 17 beautiful beaches dot Nassau’s coastline.