Harare is a pleasant destination with a moderate climate throughout the year. It has a laid back vibe and you'll find excellent works of art and crafts there as well as exceptional restaurants serving traditional and international dishes.
Zimbabwe is known for its arts and crafts and the National Gallery, located in Harare Gardens, presents monthly exhibits that feature impressive African and contemporary works. Here you'll see diverse collections of photographic images, wooden carvings, stone sculptures, paintings and so much more. The gift shop attached, sells a variety of Zimbabwean arts and crafts and books too.
Whilst in Harare, try some authentic Zimbabwean cuisine including Sadza - a traditional maize meal.
Mbare Market attracts adventurous tourists. The many items sold here range from Shona sculptures, masks and weaved baskets, to locally grown vegetables and fresh produce. You can mingle with the Zimbabwean people here and learn more about their various customs, culture and traditions.
The Zimbabwe International Film Festival (ZIFF) is worth attending, if you are in the city during the month of August. This event runs for 10 days.
Best Time to Fly to Harare
High peak season in Harare occurs between the months of April and October and the weather during this period is dry. Note that temperatures rise quite considerably, between September and October. Spring is a great time to visit, as Harare hosts a number of festivals, including the International Festival of Arts (HIFA) and the Harare Jazz Festival in April and the Bulawayo Music Festival in May.
Flights to Harare and hotel accommodation are cheaper during the months of November and March. The weather is warmer around this time, although you'll experience a great deal of rainfall with fewer activities occurring. This destination is the perfect choice for a quiet getaway, particularly during the Christmas holidays.
Getting around Harare
There are very few buses available, for tourists or locals that travel to the city. Therefore, most people rely on taxis. Private cabs are easy to find outside major hotels. Taxi ranks are stationed around, mainly at First Street, Nelson Mandela Avenue, Union Avenue and Samora Machel Avenue.
Flight deals to Harare
USA departure airports for flights to Harare
Interesting information about Harare
More useful information about Harare
- South Africa retains strong influences from Dutch and British culture.
- Because you need a return or onward ticket to enter the country, one way flights to Africa are not ideal.
- Direct flights from American cities to African cities are rare.
- The entire continent of Africa is generally warm year-round, with North Africa being the hottest.
- Africa’s history is as vast and rich as the continent itself.
- For a breath taking beach experience, visit the Tanzanian island of Zanzibar.
- Booking a last minute flight to Africa is not advisable, since much preparation is usually needed.
- Kenya offers an extraordinary Safari experience.