Pack your finest couture and bring your avant guard attitude with you on the flight to Stockholm. Sweden’s capital city reeks of style, sophistication and sass. The endless days of the sunshine in the summer months and the posh mountain resorts in the winter keep travelers coming back to Stockholm. Spend a day in Stockholm’s chic boutiques, sip lattes at one of the trendy sidewalk cafes, discover the latest style from a fashion-conscience Swede and dance the night away at one of Stockholm’s clubs.
From its people to the environment, Stockholm is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Over 60 percent of the city is comprised of lakes, rivers and green spaces that help keep Stockholm’s air fresh and clean. After your flight to Stockholm, head into Old Town and shop around the city center. Stockholm is a thriving metropolis with a very eclectic population. It’s likely you’ll hear over 100 languages spoken and witness a vast diversity in culture and religion. Travelers booking flights to Stockholm will undoubtedly be captivated by this energetic city.
Winter temperatures in Stockholm can plummet well below freezing at 19 degrees Fahrenheit, though they tend to settle closer to 36 degrees Fahrenheit on average. Snowfall is common from January through March, and precipitation returns for the latter half of the summer in the form of regular rainstorms that hit Stockholm in July and August. Stockholm in the summer sees long hours of sunlight and warm temperatures that hover around 70 degrees Fahrenheit, which have tourists dashing for cheap flights to Stockholm.
Best Time to Fly to Stockholm
Whether you’re hoping for a snow-covered Scandinavian holiday or a sun-drenched summer vacation, there’s no wrong time to book your flight to Stockholm.
Peak Season: Stockholm swells in the summer. The streets are filled with people eager to parade under the constant sunshine. However, Stockholm cheap flights are practically nonexistent when it comes to summer travel: The comfortable temperatures and summer leisure activities in Stockholm and throughout Sweden are responsible for a massive swell in tourism after the winter thaw.
Off-peak Season: The freezing chill of winter in Scandinavia scares tourists away from booking cheap flights to Stockholm during this time of year, but countless snow sports and cultural activities in Stockholm and other major cities throughout Sweden make for a vacation worth the chill.
Getting around Stockholm
When your Stockholm flight arrives at Stockholm-Arlanda, it’s to get downtown on the bus or train. You have an abundance of options when you get into the city. Stockholm has widespread, efficient public transportation consisting of commuter trains, metro, bus lines and a suburban rail. You can easily sightsee on foot, since most of the attractions are located in the center of town.
Stockholm Travel Information
- Home to the Swedish parliament, government and royal family, Stockholm should be the first stop on any Sweden trip. The Royal Palace is one of the largest palaces in Europe and resides in the heart of Gamla Stan, which is Stockholm’s old town district. If you waited until the last minute for souvenir shopping before your return Stockholm flight, check out the countless vendors in this part of the city for traditional, kitschy mementos.
- Looking to keep the kids entertained after your cheap flight to Stockholm lands? Swing by Grona Lund, the amusement park located on the island of Djurgarden. Grona Lund isn’t open year-round, so be sure to check the dates for your trip before planning a visit to ride the harborside roller coasters. Grona Lund is also a popular concert venue and welcomed popular musicians including Bob Marley and Janis Joplin.
- Art enthusiasts and history buffs from around the globe book Stockholm cheap flights to visit the city’s vast collection of museums which showcase everything from contemporary furniture design to ancient Swedish glass. Be sure to stop by the Skansen museum, the oldest open air museum in the world famous for its full replica of a 19th century Swedish town. The Moderna Museet is a favorite amongst contemporary art critics and houses works by Salvador Dali and Picasso.
- Though cheap flights to Stockholm are difficult to find over the course of the winter holidays, the hike in ticket price is worth witnessing Stockholm’s magical Christmastime activities. The Skanksen Christmas market, which has been sending visitors home with authentic Swedish crafts and clothing since 1903, is one of the largest in Sweden and takes place during the weekends of December.
Flights to Sweden
Useful information about Stockholm-Skavsta
More useful information about Stockholm-Skavsta
- Many one way flights arrive at Stockholm Arlanda Airport (STO).
- For cheap last minute flights to Sweden, plan to fly in the fall or spring.
- Direct flights to Sweden during the summer feature an enchanting glimpse of the midnight sun.