Cheap flights to Brazzaville, Congo
When is the best time to visit?
A subtropical climate, the temperatures in Brazzaville are high the whole year round, mostly around 26-28 C, with February being "hot season" at around 31 C. A large factor to consider when travelling to Brazzaville however, is rainfall. Brazzaville has a wet climate, with high levels of rainfall particularly in spring and autumn. The summer months however, are often very dry. The celebrations for Independence Day, on August 15th are a great time to be in Brazzaville, where you can join in the festivities.
The capital of the Republic of Congo, (not to be confused with its neighbour the Democratic Republic of Congo), Brazzaville was, in relative terms, a thriving and prosperous city until the onset of the civil war in 1997. Today, the city is safe to visit, despite having its infrastructure run down by the fighting in those troubled times, and is a pleasant place to spend a few days. Brazzaville is the main entry point to the Republic of Congo, and many tourists use the city as a place to acclimatise and make arrangements before heading off to Pointe Noire or into the rainforests. That being said, Brazzaville has several places of interest for visitors to enjoy. Built in 1949 by French architect Roger Erell, St Anne's Basilica, with its green tiled roof, is arguably one of the most beautiful modern churches in the world. Erell also designed a residence in Brazzaville for Charles de Gaulle. The National Museum of Congo offers visitors an excellent, but somewhat sombre account of the country's past. The market of Poto Poto in Brazzaville's West African quarter is superb, and to get a taste of Brazzaville's nightlife, take a wander around the Bakongo neighbourhood, where you'll find street food and plastic chairs and tables in abundance, as well as high spirited locals. Also worth checking out are the Palais du Peuple, a splendid colonial palace, built in 1901 and the Nabemba Tower is the country's tallest building. The School of Painting in Poto Poto, Marien Ngouabi Mausoleum and Brazzaville Zoo are also worth seeing.
Getting around Brazzaville
The best way of navigating Brazzaville is by using the local green taxis. In spite of their often dilapidated appearance they're plentiful and inexpensive, though you may sometimes find yourself sharing with others. There are buses, but there are infrequent and unreliable. If you want to visit Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo just across the river Gombe from Brazzaville, you'll need to take a ferry. Cars cost extra to go on the ferry.
Getting from the airport to Brazzaville
The best way to get from Maya Maya Airport (BZV) into the city of Brazzaville itself is by taxi, though you should ahead first online for prices to avoid being overcharged. Some of the more upmarket hotels in Brazzaville operate a shuttle service to and from the airport also. The other option is car hire, though driving in Brazzaville can be somewhat unnerving at times and road laws are fairly openly flouted.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Brazzaville
USA departure airports for flights to Brazzaville
Interesting information about Brazzaville
More useful information about Brazzaville
- South Africa retains strong influences from Dutch and British culture.
- Because you need a return or onward ticket to enter the country, one way flights to Africa are not ideal.
- Direct flights from American cities to African cities are rare.
- The entire continent of Africa is generally warm year-round, with North Africa being the hottest.
- Africa’s history is as vast and rich as the continent itself.
- For a breath taking beach experience, visit the Tanzanian island of Zanzibar.
- Booking a last minute flight to Africa is not advisable, since much preparation is usually needed.
- Kenya offers an extraordinary Safari experience.
Other user searches
- Europe flights
- Cheap Memphis to Miami flights
- Sault Ste. Marie to Borneo flights
- Cheap flights from Columbia to Montevideo
- Flights from Seattle to Chicago
- United Airlines flights
- Flights to India
- Yiwu Airport from Providence
- Cheap Baton Rouge Metropolitan/Ryan Field to Kuala Lumpur flights
- Flights from Fort Walton Beach to Chicago