An elegant and modern city, Sapporo is also famous for its great natural beauty. Head out to Mt Moiwa to enjoy unsurpassed views over the city streets. Or, take a look at the observatory on Mt Okura: a wonderful place for visitors of all ages. Sapporo is also home to some great museums, many of which are free to enter. The small but fascinating Hokkaido University Museum is free and a brilliant place to look at some stunning art works and artefacts. One of the star attractions of this city is the Takino Suzuran Hillside National Park, which is a riot of floral colour in the spring and summer months and a lovely place to take a walk at any time of year. Maruyama Zoo is another interesting place to visit whilst you are in Sapporo. Here, you can see both native flora and fauna, and animals that hail from all five continents.
Best Time to Fly to Sapporo
Most travelers would argue that the best time to visit this region of the world is during the summer months of June to August, to make the most of the warm weather. Travel during this time is likely to be more expensive than during off-peak seasons, though. In more recent years, Sapporo has become home to some exciting winter activities and vibrant festivals that make the most of the snow and ice of these cold months. If you do visit during the winter, make sure to wrap up warm and get some non-skid shoes and special snow tyres for the car (these can be bought in the city) to help you through the beautiful but sometimes challenging weather conditions.
Getting around Sapporo
Sapporo is incredibly easy to explore on foot: it has a rectangular layout and blocks named and numbered according to compass points. So if you like, you can see most of the main sights as a pedestrian. However, there is also an efficient public bus service you can use, as well as several specialist tour bus operators. This city also has metro service of three lines which will get you to your destination in no time by taking a more direct route than walking might.
Flight deals to Sapporo
USA departure airports for flights to Sapporo
This is useful information about Sapporo
More useful information about Sapporo
- There are plenty of temples, shrines, and museums to explore filled with Japan’s history and culture.
- The peak seasons are when the Japanese are on holiday: New Year’s, Golden Week, and the Obon Festival.
- After your direct flight to Japan, take a tour of Ryoanji Temple which houses a famous Zen garden.
- Your last minute flight to Japan will land you in the middle of modern culture and technology at its best.
- One way flights to Japan can land at Tokyo Haneda Airport or Fukuoka Airport.
- Take a trip to Hiroshima and visit the Peace Memorial Park.
- The end of August through September is typhoon season in Japan.
- Japan has the world’s most efficient train service from the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) to steam locomotives.