Cheap flights to Malia, Crete
The small town of Malia located on the north coast of Crete is one of the most popular resorts on the island thanks to its eclectic mix of ancient monuments and bustling nightlife. This Greek holiday destination offers plenty of entertainment and attractions for visitors looking for a vacation that combines a sunny beachside location with an authentic Greek atmosphere. The Main Strip provides most of the entertainment, where restaurants serve traditional Greek cuisine and tavernas draw in crowds of young partygoers. The town is also the location of an important archaeological site, which can be easily reached by walking two miles to the eastern edge of the town. The Palace of Malia is the third largest of its kind in Greece and was a major Minoan settlement that was built in 1900BC. Although destroyed by an earthquake, visitors can explore the ruins or take a guided tour to discover the ancient treasures within. For those fascinated by this ancient site, many of the most important artifacts can be viewed within the Heraklion Museum in the island's capital city. For families, there's plenty of family fun within the local area. Many vacationers choose to make a trip to one of the nearby aqua parks, such as Watercity, Star Beach and AquaPlus to ride the water slides, splash or sunbathe. Further afield to the east of Malia lies the Kolokytha Peninsula, a fascinating place for a day trip, where you can take a boat trip to the deserted leper island of Spinalonga or gaze down into blue waters to see the sunken city at the town of Elounda.
Best Time to Fly to Malia
Malia is a vacation resort and best enjoyed at the peak of summer. Most visitors stay here between June and August when temperatures are at their highest, but September is also an excellent time to visit.
In the winter months between December and February the temperature drops and rainfall is more common. As many travelers tend to visit in the peak period of June to August, the winter season is an excellent time to get cheaper vacation deals.
Getting around Malia
There are local bus services in the town that run along the main street and also past the beaches. You can take a bus to reach the Palace of Malia at the east side of town. There is also a taxi rank located in front of Agios Nektarios Church.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
USA departure airports for flights to Malia
Flights to Crete
More useful information about Malia
- In Athens, you can explore the Acropolis, the Parthenon, and the Epidaurus amphitheater.
- A popular time to take one way flights to Greece is between June and August when the weather is best.
- When your last minute flight to Greece arrives, you'll be in the country where the Olympic Games were born.
- The beautiful and verdant island Zante or Zakynthos, on the Ionian islands, is another popular vacation destination.
- Many travelers take direct flights to Greece for a tour of Athens or on a honeymoon to Santorini.
- Crete is the largest and most popular of the Greek islands, with two international airports.
- One place worth visiting is the Peloponissos, which has a spectacular landscape of mountains, caves, and volcanoes.
- Greece enjoys long Mediterranean summers, with warm temperatures and about 11 hours of sunshine a day.
Other user searches
- Roanoke to Melbourne flights
- Flights from Dubuque to Taba International
- Cheap Long Beach to Salt Lake City International flights
- Cheap flights to Sacramento International Airport from Los Angeles
- Flights Newark to Maui
- American Airlines
- American Eagle
- Flights from Brookings to Ravello
- Columbia to Kentucky flights
- Flights to Thailand