Cheap flights to Basel, Switzerland
Civilized, beautiful and vibrant, Basel is one of Switzerland's most appealing tourist destinations. Although less famous than Geneva or Zurich, Basel has a well-preserved medieval center and everything is close together in downtown Basel, making it one of the easiest cities to see by foot.
The crowning glory of the city is its fabulous medieval cathedral, the "Münster" which is surrounded by winding cobbled streets. See the intricate sculpture work around the doorways or climb one of the cathedral towers for stunning views over the town and the Rhine.
Basel is also a great place for river tours and you can charter boats or be piloted in leisurely fashion past the rolling fields and hills of the region. Special tour boats also offer two-hour trips which take in all of the city's sights.
Another of Basel's great attractions is the lively town market. Buy locally produced fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as Swiss delicacies like chocolate or cheese, as well as local craft products and Rhine wines.
The city also boasts some world-class museums. Head to the Art Museum to see a room stuffed with Picassos and a marvellous renaissance collection or visit the superbly designed Beyeler Foundation, which houses a collection of modern art. For the kids, the Jean Tinguely Museum features animated figures and cartoons, while the city zoo is the largest of its kind in Switzerland.
Basel also offers some unique attractions such as a subterranean sewer tour or taking a dip in the placid waters of the River Rhine. Then there are the city's many vibrant festivals. Check out the Easter Carnival to see colourful costumes and musical delights and don't miss the fire festival "Chienbäse" in the nearby town of Liestal.
Best Time to Fly to Basel
If you plan to mix a trip to Basel with a sampling of the Swiss ski slopes, then head over between December and March, when town accommodations will also be fairly cheap. Easter is a great time to visit Basel alone, with the excitement of carnival, but summer allows for more outdoor activities such as swimming in the Rhine and local vineyard tours.
Getting around Basel
The best way to see the Old Town is still by foot, but the city also has an extensive tram and bus network if the hills become too much. When walking, remember to look out for the trams, and be advised that tickets for the trams and buses need to be bought before boarding at the green ticket machines.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Basel
USA departure airports for flights to Basel
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Basel
- Washington (WAS)
- New York (NYC)
- Miami (MIA)
- Boston (BOS)
- Indianapolis (IND)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Denver (DEN)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- Newark (EWR)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Sacramento (SMF)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Houston (IAH)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Charlotte (CLT)
- San Diego (SAN)
- St Louis (STL)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Minneapolis (MSP)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Portland (PDX)
- St Paul (MSP)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Wichita (ICT)
- San Juan (SJU)
Interesting information about Basel
More useful information about Basel
- Booking a last minute flight to Europe will get you there in time for Oktoberfest in Germany.
- If you are planning an extended stay, then taking a one way flight to Europe may be the best choice.
- Find student travel deals and explore Europe cheaply.
- If you’re driving, consider renting a diesel. Diesels often get better mileage than other cars.
- Some non-typical European destinations include The Netherlands, which has a rich history as a world power.
- Consider booking flights to Europe to visit friends or family while they study abroad during college.
- Trains run throughout mainland Europe and, since the Eurotunnel, also connect France to the UK.
- Hundred of airports throughout the continent serve international travelers for direct flights to Europe.
- If you are under 26 years old or a teacher, you can visit the Louvre museum in Paris for free!
- Great capital cities to visit across European countries include Athens, Dublin, London, Madrid, Paris, and Rome.