Nestled between the Mediterranean Sea and the Cabo de Gata natural park, the Spanish city of Almeria is an inspired holiday choice. Filled with points of interest such as the Cathedral and the Alcazaba, the town is a blend of great beaches, history and culture. The city also has a wonderful climate and enjoys the warmest winters in Europe.
The Alcazaba dates from the 10th century and the fortified castle looms over the town from its hilltop perch. It's one of the most visited historic locations in the city, and you'll enjoy fantastic panoramic views over the sea as you stroll in the beautiful courtyards and gardens within its impressive walls.
Gorgeous beaches are a feature of this part of the Spanish coastline and some of the finest are to be found within the Cabo de Gata natural park, an area of outstanding natural beauty. Relax on the city's main beach - an impressive stretch of sand backed by luxury apartments which overlook the Mediterranean, or explore Cabo de Gata beaches like Playa de Torre Garcia, Playa de las Amoladeras or Playa de San Miguel.
Parts of the city and the surrounding countryside have been used as locations for many famous films. Fans will enjoy spotting places used in movies like David Lean's 1962 epic, Lawrence of Arabia and the films of Sergio Leone which made great use of the region's unique landscape.
The Cathedral is a must for history enthusiasts, and its fortified appearance was designed to repel pirate raids in the 16th century. You can find out more about the city's amazing history and culture by visiting the Museum of Almeria where you'll see exhibits from every age of the city's development.
Relax with a cool drink on the beach, or sample Almerian cuisine in the many friendly tapas bars and restaurants. There is something to appeal to everyone in this historic and beautiful city, and its exceptional climate makes it a great year round resort.
Best Time to Fly to Almeria
Summers are hot with temperatures of around 91 degrees (Fahrenheit) during July and August. Almeria enjoys the warmest winters in Europe and is considered to have one of the best year round climates. Because it is warm throughout the year, the best time to visit is a matter of personal preference. If you enjoy hot, sun-drenched days at the beach a summer trip is perfect, while warm days and cool nights are certain to fit the bill if you fancy some winter sunshine.
The cheapest time to visit the city is during the low season months of February and March or October and November. While it is still warm and sunny, it is less crowded than summer when school holidays mean that the city and beaches are busiest. Christmas and New Year are also popular but it is possible to find good deals on flights at most times of the year.
Getting around Almeria
Local bus services are clean, cheap and frequent and cover most of the main attractions like the Cathedral and Alcazaba. It's possible to walk easily to most parts of the city, and there are plenty of taxis available at reasonable rates.
Flight deals to Almeria
USA departure airports for flights to Almeria
Interesting information about Almeria
More useful information about Almeria
- The Catalans enjoy calcotades in late winter and early spring, which is a different kind of BBQ.
- Compared to the UK, Spain is 5 times as large, but only has 2/3 of the population.
- To see birds and plants not found anywhere else in the world, go to the Islote de Lobos Nature Reserve.
- Some well known artists that hail from Spain, include Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali and Joan Miró.
- One of Majorca’s tourist attractions is the Coves del Drac. Take a last minute flight to Spain to see it.
- With a one way flight to Spain, you can find deals if you are flexible with your dates.
- The best months for direct flights to Spain are May, June, and September.
- In July and August, Spain is extremely hot. The rest of the year the climate is generally temperate.
- Valencia has renowned museums, art collections, and it is where paella was created.
- Ibiza is known for its hedonistic resorts, electric nightlife, and fine beaches.