Cheap flights to Udon Thani, Thailand
When is the best time to fly to Udon Thani?
The tropical climate of Udon Thani means that the winter season between November and January is very warm and dry, whilst the summer season between April and October is extremely wet. If you don’t mind the rain, the summer is the best time to find cheap flights to Udon Thani. If you want to visit outside the monsoon season, book your trip in the winter months.
Udon Thani overview
As the fourth largest city in Thailand, Udon Thani is a destination that is often missed by tourists, yet harbours some fascinating cultural, recreational and historical sites. Situated in the Isan region in northeast Thailand, Udon Thani is a considerable distance of 348 miles (560 km) from the country's capital Bangkok, but is a major commercial centre. Udon Thani benefits from being close to the World Heritage site Ban Chiang. Located 22 miles (35 km) east of the city, Ban Chiang is an important archaeological site dating back to the Bronze Age. To the northwest of Udon Thani, you can also visit Phu Phra Bat Historical Park, located near Ban Phu. Dating back over three thousand years, this historical park is considered to be one of the most beautiful attractions in Thailand and is filled with strange rock formations, Bronze Age cave paintings and ancient legends. To see some prominent artefacts from the region's history, take a visit to Udon Thani Provincial Museum, which is situated in an old building near Nong Prajak Public Park in the city centre of Udon Thani. Nong Prajak Public Park is also a popular place to relax, offering a pleasant rural space around a large lake. If you venture out to a village south of Udon Thani, you can reach Wat Pa Ban Tat, a Theravada Buddhist monastery that was once home to the famous philanthropic monk Luangta Maha Bua.
Getting around Udon Thani
The main bus station is located near Central Plaza in the city centre and offers a limited network of city buses. The bus station also has a taxi stand so it is easy to hire a taxi or samlor (bicycle taxi). Alternatively you can take a tuk-tuk (three wheeled motorcycle) for short rides within the city. If you want to get further out of Udon Thani, there are regular trains that run to Nong Khai and Laos in the north and Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima in the southwest.
Getting from the Airport to the City
Udon Thani International Airport (UTH) is situated just to the south of the city centre. To reach the city, you can book a minibus or taxi to pick you up from the airport, however, taxis are not allowed to wait at the airport. Minibus tickets can be bought from the Limousine Service desk inside the terminal building. Buses also run from the airport to the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai. Most hotels in Udon Thani provide transfers from the airport. You can also rent a car from one of the major car rental companies.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Udon Thani
This is useful information about Udon Thani
More useful information about Udon Thani
- A direct flight to Thailand during peak tourist season would occur between November and February.
- If you are flying to Bankok, the busy season is November to March.
- The hot season for Thailand take place between the months of March and May.
- Thailand's largest and most popular island is Phuket (pronounced "Poo-ket").
- Chiang Mai is the place to shop for fine antiques, huge Buddhas, and high-quality handcrafts.
- The two climate zones of Thailand are a tropical savanna in the north and tropical in the south.
- If you are flexible with your departure, you can find deals on one way flights to Thailand.
- Take a last minute flight to Thailand to enjoy the infamous Bankok nightlife.
Other user searches
- Cheap Minneapolis to India flights
- Philadelphia to Memphis flights
- McAllen to Israel
- Flights to North Carolina
- Arturo Michelena International from New Haven
- Tampa to Indianapolis flights
- Boston to San Jose Cabo cheap flights
- Flights to Kuala Lumpur
- Flights to Michigan from New York
- New York to New Zealand