Cheap flights to Charleston, South Carolina (SC)
Consistently ranked one of the most beautiful cities in the U.S., Charleston always aims to please. Whether your flight to Charleston is for business or personal pleasure, it’s likely you’ll fall in love with the southern charm of this cosmopolitan city. Charleston’s downtown district alone has enough to keep any tourist occupied. Walk the cobblestone streets and admire the antique shops that operate in carefully preserved brick buildings. Take a load off at one of the neighborhood pubs before hitting the town for an unforgettable nightlife scene. What is strikingly obvious in Charleston is the city’s southern influence. Gardens and shaded porches trim the two-level homes, many of which were occupied by wealthy merchants and are still inhabited by generations-old family members. Charleston oozes ambiance and is consistently rated one of the most romantic American cities. Whether you’re a chic shopper, an antique-goer, a pair of lovers or just want a little Southern comfort, a cheap flight to Charleston is a the way to go.
Charleston enjoys a wonderful climate, designated as temperate to subtropical. March to May are lovely months with spring flowers blooming profusely. June-August are pleasantly warm, the area's coastal situation helping to keep things cooler than inland. It is also the wettest time of year with almost half the annual rainfall occurring during summer, falling as showers or in thunderstorms. September, October and November are still warm months but cold spells will start making an appearance. This time of year is also hurricane season. Winter is short and mild, settling in by December and easing up by February, sometimes rainy and with occasional snow flurries in early January.
Best Time to Fly to Charleston
The best time to book flights to Charleston and explore the city is during March, April and May. The city is in bloom, the weather is warm and rarely is there a rainy day. The summer months are usually packed with vacationers, but the threat of thunderstorms lingers during the day.
In the final months of the year most Charleston flights are cheaper and hotel rooms are discounted. The threat of hurricanes is apparent from August to November. Winter is chilly, but not freezing. If you don't mind sweaters and jackets, you can likely find a cheap flight to Charleston during October and November.
Getting around Charleston
Charleston is a fairly small city, so it’s easy to wander around on foot. If you’re traveling to plantations or other sites outside the city, your best option is renting a car. For travel within the city, you can take a bus almost anywhere. Fares are inexpensive. The Downtown Area Shuttle (DASH) trolley buses cover central downtown Charleston for free. Or you can head out in style by taking a romantic horse-drawn carriage. If you need a taxi, you’ll have to call for one ahead of time.
Charleston Travel Information
- Charleston is full of historic homes. Take a walking tour and explore the Aiken-Rhett House, Edmondston-Alston House, Heyward-Washington House, Joseph Manigault House and the Nathaniel Russell House. Grab a brochure from the visitor's center so that you have some background on each of these historic homes.
- Plantations are abundant in Charleston. Take a day trip to one of the plantations and gardens and enjoy the moss trees, pick-your-own-crops, woodworking and more.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Charleston
USA departure airports for flights to Charleston
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Charleston
- New York (NYC)
- Boston (BOS)
- Chicago (CHI)
- Newark (EWR)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Indianapolis (IND)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Houston (IAH)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Washington (WAS)
- Cleveland (CLE)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- Denver (DEN)
- Detroit (DTT)
- St Louis (STL)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Nashville (BNA)
- Hartford (BDL)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Kansas City (MCI)
- Miami (MIA)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Memphis (MEM)
- Pittsburgh (PIT)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Baltimore (BWI)
- Columbus (CMH)
- Rochester (ROC)
This is useful information about Charleston
More useful information about Charleston
- A great way to experience Charleston is to take a walking tour of historic homes like that of Aiken-Rhett House.
- The perfect day trip in Charleston centers around exploring one of the historic plantations.
- For true Charleston fare, try sherry-spiked crab soup, collard greens, cornbread, and pecan pie.
- Retail-lovers can find a home on upscale King Street, or Charleston Place on Market Street to find designer names.
- For a true southern experience, go bar-hopping on the beach and eat all the barbecue you can.
- This city boasts a historic southern charm. Book a one-way flight to Charleston to keep your options open.
- Book a direct flight to Charleston to explore antique shops during the day and the pub scene at night.
- For the ultimate food and fun, book a last-minute flight to Charleston for the summer Spoleto Festival.