Folks who live in LA are not like you and me. They’re bronzed, buff and beautiful – or so goes the conventional wisdom. If you want to look and laugh like a movie star, here are some suggestions on health and beauty pursuits in the LA Basin, all courtesy of the Los Angeles Convention and Visitors Bureau. (The featured image is by spaceabstract.)
– Fuel up at the original Los Angeles Farmers Market, at the corner of Third and Fairfax. The produce is fresh, the smells sublime and the veggies oh-so-good for body and soul. Other healthy farmers’ markets are to be found in Hermosa Beach at Valley Drive and 11th Street, Hollywood at Ivar and Selma Avenue, Studio City at Ventura Place and Laurel Canyon Boulevard and, Santa Monica at Arizona Avenue and Second Street. Stars are known to frequent these places. Keep a keen eye.
– Properly fueled, prepare yourself for the physical workouts ahead. Head to the Sahaja Yoga Meditation Center in Tarzana for free meditation classes.
– Now, start exercising – and not in some stuffy gym. The LA CVB says, “The hills of Los Angeles inspired early housing developers to connect streets via sets of stairs.” Those stairs often led to now long-gone trolley stops. Go online and search keywords “Silver Lake Stairs” to find out where the locals make their favorite stair climbs.
– Don’t stop there, keep climbing. The Angeles Chapter of the conservationist Sierra Club leads night hikes through the reaches of Griffith Park. Come along for free.
– If you’re in Los Angeles over the summer and don’t know how to swim particularly well, the L.A. Department of Recreation and Parks operates something called ‘Operation Splash,’ where they’ll teach you how to maneuver about H2O. The summertime swim lessons are gratis.
– Body properly put together, it’s time to show it off. There’s no better place than funky, fantastic Venice Beach, home of the bodybuilders.