In our never-ending effort to find travelers cheap and affordable travel options, we’re out with our 3rd Annual Airport Affordability Index, a ranking of the 101 most popular US airports based on airfare affordability.
A relief to frugal fliers everywhere, the top 10 airports – composed solely of alternative and small-market airports – offer wonderfully affordable fares to both domestic and international destinations. The takeaway: low-cost travel is out there, but requires the flexibility and know-how to consider alternative airports.
- Bob Hope Airport, CA (BUR) – $221
- Long Beach (Daugherty Field), CA (LGB) – $250
- Fresno Air Terminal, CA (FAT) – $290
- Harrisburg International, PA (MDT) – $304
- Lehigh Valley, PA (ABE) – $307
- John Wayne/Orange County, CA (SNA) – $316
- White Plains, NY (HPN) – $324
- Metropolitan Oakland International, CA (OAK) – $330
- Chicago Midway, IL (MDW) – $339
- Bellingham International, WA (BLI) – $342
We’ve also positioned the airport rankings against last year’s, highlighting which airports have held their affordable appeal (Bob Hope, Long Beach), and which climbed the ranks impressively (Fresno, Chicago Midway). To see how your nearby airports stack up when it comes to cost-cutting airfare, check out this year’s full index.