Ballina lies south of Byron Bay in the Northern Rivers region. While Byron Bay is the better known town of the two, Ballina is great for visitors looking for a quieter time. Many people will base themselves in Ballina and take day trips to Byron Bay.
Ballina's wonderful climate, great location at the mouth of the Richmond River, superb beaches (South Ballina Beach is the star) and hinterland, offer lots of options for travelers. There are the water-based attractions, such as swimming, scuba diving, surfing, fishing, boating, whale-watching (between June and November) and dolphin watching (all year) - and the seafood is always fresh and wonderful.
Close to Ballina, the Victoria Park Nature Reserve is one of the remnants of the Big Scrub. The reserve covers 43 acres, with 20 acres of untouched rainforest, and clearly marked walking trails.
As in the rest of this part of New South Wales, the climate is sub-tropical. Summer temperatures (December to February) hit about 86 F and winter temperatures (June to August) are 68 F.
Best Time to Fly to Ballina
This part of New South Wales is a year-round destination, meaning there's really no bad time to visit Ballina.
January and February are the busiest months. Easter is also a popular time with families. Whale-watching season runs from June to November, making it a popular time to visit as well. Ballina will also be busy when Byron Bay holds its many festivals. Accommodations in Ballina and Lismore often booked-up to handle the overspill from Byron.
Low season rates for accommodations kick in after the Easter holiday and last until the September/October school vacations.
Getting around Ballina
There are plenty of rental-car companies with desks at the local airports. Airport transfers and shuttles also link the airports with Ballina and other towns in the region.
A rental car is essential if you're planning on getting around this part of New South Wales. Bus and coach services in the Ballina, Lennox Head, Byron Bay and Mullumbimby areas are operated by Blanch's Bus Company.
Ballina Travel Information
- Visit the Thursday Plantation and discover the magic of natural therapies in a rainforest garden, sculpture park and Tea Tree Maze.
- A three-hour cultural tour of Ballina and the surrounding areas will take visitors to mythological sites to hear stories of local Aboriginal legends. The full tour takes in morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea.
- One of the best markets in the area is the Channon Craft Market in Lismore. There are more than 250 stalls every month selling fresh produce, therapeutic goods and services, art, crafts and more.
- The Ballina Naval and Maritime Museum on Regatta Avenue tells the story of this region and contains the original Las Balsas raft and the largest collection of Naval and Merchant Ships in Australia.
Flights to New South Wales
Useful information about Ballina
More useful information about Ballina
- Sydney is Australia's oldest city and has international style and superb dining.
- Looking for daily deals while in Australia? Groupon and Living Social have a presence there too.
- If you are looking for Australian beaches, Bondi Beach in Sydney should be a first stop.
- Last minute flight deals to Australia can be found if you are flexible with your travel dates.
- The 'real' Tasmanian Devil is found on the island of Tasmania, and is the size of a small dog.
- Book a direct flight to Australia to see bizarre wildlife and beautiful beaches.
- Take a one way flight to Australia and you'll will be picking up some of the local slang in no time.
- Want to visit the capital city? It's little-known Canberra; not Sydney or Melbourne.
- Some of Australia's six states are New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia.
- The off season in Australia is June through August when winter is in full effect.
Other user searches
- Bermuda flight
- Cheap flights from Des Moines to Beijing
- Cheap flights to Virginia Beach
- Cheap flights to Niagara Falls from New York
- Cheap flights to Tucson
- Las Vegas to Nairobi
- Flights to Sal from Lehigh Valley International
- Flights from New York to Philippines
- Flights to Miami
- Cheap flights to San Diego