Cheap flights to Sarajevo (SJJ)
Sarajevo, the cosmopolitan capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina, is a city of contrasts between the past and the present and the Orient and the West. With a small population of just over 400,000, it is a lively, interesting and cultural place to explore. In the cobbled streets of the old town both Catholic and Orthodox churches sit comfortably alongside mosques and synagogues. Sarajevo was the site of the 1914 assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, triggering the First World War and a plaque at the Latin Bridge commemorates this event, and there is a small museum nearby. A pleasant walk along the River Bosna will lead visitors to the Yellow Fort with its commanding views of the city and surrounding mountains. A 20-minute stroll in the opposite direction leads into the heart of the beautiful countryside and the source of the river. Visitors interested in the city's history will enjoy a visit to Sarajevo Museum, where the area's origins are traced back through prehistory, the Roman Empire and subsequent occupations. A more intimate look at the past can be found in a visit to Svrzo House. This is an 18th century Ottoman house showing how the Svrzo family lived.
Best Time to Fly to Sarajevo
In recent years Sarajevo has become one of Europe's most popular destinations with something to offer all year round. Like most cities it has its annual festivals, many following the religious calendars of the different faiths, such as large processions during Easter week. In July and August the city hosts the Sarajevo Film Festival, considered to be one of the best in Europe. This is followed in October by MESS, the International Theater Festival. Although the months of November to April can be very cold, Sarajevo remains a popular destination with world class skiing facilities only a short distance from the town.
Getting around Sarajevo
The historic center of Sarajevo is easy to explore on foot but there is also an efficient public transport system. Tickets for the buses or trams can either be bought in advance from kiosks or, more expensively, from the driver. The tram loops through the city, linking downtown to the mainline station and the Bascarsija Square. Visitors wishing to take a guided tour will find several available in the city including, amongst others, a daily free walking tour and the Sarajevo Siege Tour. One thing visitors need to bear in mind is that all passports have to be registered with the local police if staying at a private residence, with friends or families, foreign passport holders will have to report to a police station within 24 hours of arrival. If you are staying in a hotel, this will not be required.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Sarajevo
USA departure airports for flights to Sarajevo
Select the airport or region closest to you to compare the prices of cheap flights to Sarajevo
Interesting information about Sarajevo
More useful information about Sarajevo
- Booking a last minute flight to Europe will get you there in time for Oktoberfest in Germany.
- If you are planning an extended stay, then taking a one way flight to Europe may be the best choice.
- Find student travel deals and explore Europe cheaply.
- If you’re driving, consider renting a diesel. Diesels often get better mileage than other cars.
- Some non-typical European destinations include The Netherlands, which has a rich history as a world power.
- Consider booking flights to Europe to visit friends or family while they study abroad during college.
- Trains run throughout mainland Europe and, since the Eurotunnel, also connect France to the UK.
- Hundred of airports throughout the continent serve international travelers for direct flights to Europe.
- If you are under 26 years old or a teacher, you can visit the Louvre museum in Paris for free!
- Great capital cities to visit across European countries include Athens, Dublin, London, Madrid, Paris, and Rome.