Cheap flights to George (GRJ)
Lying on the Garden Route between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, the picturesque coastal town of George has many attractions. Foremost amongst these is the beautiful Garden Route Botanical Garden. The natural scenery surrounding the city is spectacular and there are many opportunities for outdoor activities, including hiking, horse-riding, bird-watching and whale-watching. The Outeniqua Powervan takes visitors high up into the Outeniqua mountains. Other attractions in George itself include the Slave Tree (a national monument), King Edward VII Library, George Museum and the Outeniqua Transport Museum.
Best Time to Fly to George
George is one of the rainiest places in South Africa and most of the rain falls between June and August. Summer months of December to February tend to be quite hot with temperatures around 70s and 80s degrees Fahrenheit.
Getting around George
Car is the best method of transportation in George. The town is easy enough for visitors to navigate and York Street is the main connecting road. Buses and shared minibus taxis are another option, though it’s best to ask local advice before getting a minibus taxi. Hotels can arrange private taxis for trips around town or further afield.
George is one of the safer towns in South Africa and visitors typically find it has a pleasant and comfortable ambience. However, as anywhere visitors should take care with their belongings, stay vigilant and avoid wandering into unknown neighbourhoods, especially at night. Hotels are a good source of local knowledge and generally happy to advise further.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to George
Interesting information about George
More useful information about George
- The Spoornet rail connects the major cities; Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth, Cape Town, and Durban.
- South Africa has 20 national parks, of which Kruger is the largest and best-known.
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park is composed of the Kalahari Gemsbok National Park and Gemsbok National Park.
- Whale watchers should take last minute flights to South Africa between mid-June and the end of October.
- Take the cable car to the top of Table Mountain in Cape Town, whooshing up the mountain in less than 10 minutes.
- Travelers on one way flights to South Africa can view breaching whales at Hermanus, south of Cape Town.
- In general, the weather is sunny and hot in the summer months (December to April) in South Africa.
- The country is a year-round destination so cheap direct flights to South Africa can always be found.