Finding cheap plane tickets isn’t rocket science. It just takes some flexibility and an informed approach to find a good deal on airfare.
When you need to get away and don’t want to spend a bundle, consider these tips and watch how much you can save on plane tickets.
Quick tips for finding cheap plane tickets
- Be flexible – alternate airports and flexible departure times can save money.
- Book early – generally, the earlier you book, the more you save on plane tickets.
- Discount airlines – great for cheap flights, especially on certain routes.
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter – delivered straight to your inbox. Travel Deals Alert has news and travel deals, including last-minute flights, vacation packages, short breaks and cheap hotels. Gone are the days of overpaying for travel accommodations.
More tips for finding cheap plane tickets
Compare airfares from several different sources
Sounds obvious, right? But different airline ticket providers – from the big online agencies to your local travel shop – simply don’t have access to all the same airlines, flights, availability and pricing. So no single airline, consolidator, or agency will always have the lowest airfare prices or always have the best selection of airline tickets. You have to shop around. And that’s where Cheapflights.com can help. Find cheap plane tickets easily with our free service.
Want a quick and easy way to shop a huge selection of cheap plane tickets all at once? Cheapflights.com provides a simple, free service that helps you access one of the world’s largest selections of airfare deals and last minute-travel deals. You’ll find comprehensive listings of cheap flights offered by the big online agencies like Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, and Orbitz – plus airfare deals from consolidators, discount airlines, and specialists you may not have known about.
Be flexible with your flight times
It’s all about supply and demand. Some departure times are more popular – and more expensive – than others. Everyone wants to depart at 7pm on Friday night. Cheap plane tickets are available at peak times, but you generally have to book far in advance. If you need a cheap flight and have some flexibility, try flying on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday rather than on weekends.
Consider overall value
Finding the absolute lowest airfare for a given flight can be rewarding, but there are other factors to consider, like value – the overall mix of price, quality, and convenience. Before you shop, it makes sense to decide what’s most important to you. You might be getting a really cheap plane ticket, but do you want to stop and change planes several times? Some airlines are more comfortable and provide more in-flight services than others, so we encourage you to take a look and compare flights.
- Discount airlines, like Southwest and JetBlue, have built their reputations on providing very cheap plane tickets with very few perks. Some do provide in-flight services, while others have none at all.
- Traditional airlines are becoming more price competitive, and often offer lower fares to compete with the discount airlines.
- You can find cheap flights on a traditional carrier with some perks, including self-assigned seating, in-flight service, and assistance if your flight is canceled or delayed.
- Compare apples to apples. Did you read the fine print? One price may look great until you uncover the details. Watch out for taxes, surcharges and fees. Especially when looking into alternative airports, consider the cost of getting to and from the airport. Add it up. Is it still a cheap plane ticket?
Finding cheap plane tickets is simple with Cheapflights.com
It’s not hard to find cheap plane tickets when you’re well informed and well connected. Be sure to sign up for our Travel Deals Alert and have airfare deals come to you.