Cheap flights to New Plymouth, New Zealand
The coastal city of New Plymouth combines modern city life with natural surroundings, making it a popular destination for many tourists. Situated in the Taranaki region of the North Island of New Zealand, the city is well placed for visitors to enjoy a wide range of outdoor pursuits or to simply relax in one of the city's many parks. In the distance Mount Taranaki provides a stunning backdrop for this attractive city, whilst coastal paths offer scenic sea views. Whether you love to walk, jog or cycle, the 6 mile Coastal Walkway is a fantastic way to take in the city sights, stretching across the city past parks, beaches and local attractions. Make a stop at the Len Lye Wind Wand, an iconic sculpture created by the famous New Zealand artist Len Lye or visit the local heritage center Puke Ariki to see artistic and historic treasures. The botanical gardens at Pukekura Park provide a peaceful oasis filled with exotic plants that can easily be navigated using a series of walkways. If you prefer the challenge of a serious trek into the wilderness then a short 30-minute drive south of the city leads to Egmont National Park, the site of Mount Taranaki and numerous walking and cycling routes. Mount Taranaki is a dormant volcano that can be climbed by most amateur mountaineers looking for a challenge.
Best Time to Fly to New Plymouth
New Plymouth is known for its high number of sunny days, giving ample time to enjoy all of the region's outdoor activities. Winters here are mild, whilst summers are warm and pleasant. December to February offers warmer temperatures, making this an excellent time to visit the city.
As rainfall tends to be higher in the middle of the year between June and August, fewer tourists tend to visit the city during this period. However, the temperate climate means that you can find great deals on accommodations during this time and still make the most of the local attractions.
Getting around New Plymouth
A regular service of Citylink buses operates within the city area from the main bus station on Ariki Street. Buses provide city transport from downtown to the suburbs, such as Highlands Park and Frankleigh Park. Coach companies provide direct coach services to other cities on the North Island.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to New Plymouth
USA departure airports for flights to New Plymouth
Useful information about New Plymouth
More useful information about New Plymouth
- Meat, wool, and dairy are the country's biggest businesses, but tourism is growing.
- Once your last minute flight to New Zealand arrives, take in some hiking, rafting, and swim with the dolphins.
- Rotorua is a geothermal area with several geysers including the spectacular 20-metre Pohutu geyser at Whakarewarewa.
- Larnach Castle is New Zealand’s only castle and Dunedin’s top visitor attraction.
- Kapiti Island is home to a nature reserve that protects some of the rarest birds in the world.
- Praised by some of the best sommeliers, New Zealand wines are revered around the world.
- If you are booking a one way flight to New Zealand, prepare for the South Island's cold winters.
- Travelers booking direct flights to New Zealand can dine on plenty of fresh seafood once they arrive.
Other user searches
- Sacramento to New York
- Cheap flights to Newark Liberty International from New Orleans
- Flights to Ireland
- Flights to Portugal
- Salt Lake City to Virgin Islands, U.S.
- Flights from Cheyenne to Prince Rupert
- Flights to Las Vegas from Prudhoe Bay
- New York to Orlando
- Flights to Atlanta
- Cheap flights to Munich