Cheap flights to Hobart International (HBA)
Cheap flights to Hobart will not be needed by those sportsmen and women who take part in the Sydney Hobart Yacht Race. For several days every day around Christmas and New Year's, the yachts and their crews celebrate at Constitution Dock. The arrival of the yachts is a high point of the Hobart Summer Festival with its 10 days of food, wine, arts and entertainment. The most delicious part of the festival is the Taste of Tasmania - more than 70 stalls setting out the very best of the state's eateries and wineries.
Hobart is heaven for the seafood lover. The must-eats are blue-eye trevalla, scallops, crayfish and, of course, oysters and mussels. The wineries of the Derwent, Coal River and Huon Valleys specialise in the finest pinots, chardonnays, sauvignon blancs and Rieslings. Then, there are the soft fruits and berries from the orchards of South Tasmania.
Every Saturday, these products are on sale at the Salamanca Market. The bustling market stalls stand against the handsome Georgian warehouses that date back to the 1830s. These are just one example of Hobart's rich heritage.
Founded as a penal colony, there are several grand buildings. There's nowhere better to savour the architecture than around the dock and Battery Point, which is reached from the Salamanca Market by Kelly's Steps. For sumptuous views and, perhaps, to work off the goodies from the Salamanca Market, Mount Wellington, standing 2589 feet above Hobart, is just 12 miles or so from the city.
Hobart has a maritime climate with four distinct seasons. January and February are the warmest and driest months.
Hobart Travel Information
St George's Church - or, more specifically, its tower, is considered to be the most impressive building in Battery Point. It was built between 1836 and 1838. Its tower was added in 1847, designed by James Blackburn, who had been transported for forgery. The church is said to be Australia's finest Greek Revival Church.
Rightly described as the sweetest cruise in Australia, the cruise to the Cadbury chocolate factory will delight chocoholics. There are free samples and the chance to buy some discounted chocolates.
Try the renowned Tasmanian oysters fresh from Barilla Bay. You can pick up a dozen or more at Salamanca Place and bring them home.
Hobart's beaches include Sandy Bay, Nutgrove, Kingston, Bellerive and Howrah.
Join for free and get our tailored newsletters full of hot travel deals.Sign up now
Flight deals to Hobart International
Useful information about Hobart International
More useful information about Hobart International
- Sydney is Australia's oldest city and has international style and superb dining.
- Looking for daily deals while in Australia? Groupon and Living Social have a presence there too.
- If you are looking for Australian beaches, Bondi Beach in Sydney should be a first stop.
- Last minute flight deals to Australia can be found if you are flexible with your travel dates.
- The 'real' Tasmanian Devil is found on the island of Tasmania, and is the size of a small dog.
- Book a direct flight to Australia to see bizarre wildlife and beautiful beaches.
- Take a one way flight to Australia and you'll will be picking up some of the local slang in no time.
- Want to visit the capital city? It's little-known Canberra; not Sydney or Melbourne.
- Some of Australia's six states are New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia.
- The off season in Australia is June through August when winter is in full effect.